• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube mixer design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I´ve been looking for a tube mixer project for a long time. I came to find an article at tubecad journal about the subject, so, I got this project and moded it for my needs, but as I´m very new to eletronics, I would like you to see the circuit and tell me if it´s all right. The original was a 4x1 mixer. I tried to make it a 8x2 mixer by adding more channels and some 10k panpots, so that it suit my needs. I added a BChannel section to, that is just identical to the channel A for stereo. Here are the links to the original one and the moded one:

You can see the original article here:

http://www.tubecad.com/april_may2001/page22.html

And the moded version

http://www.geocities.com/rafafreddy/index.html

go on tube mixer

I really don´t know if it will work, so let me know if I´m just dreaming...

Also, R32 and C2 needs some values!
Someone said me that a couple of kohms would do for R32, and 47uf/250V would do for C2.

Is it allright?

Thanks

Well, you certainly are new to electronics. This is not the way a
panorama-circuit gets implemented. As you did it, your A-channel would maintain the same volume, while you'd fade away your B-channel turning the pan-knob. I saw you've drawn some kind of tube-cascode as the apply it in old FM-receivers. It has a good noise figure and broad bandwith, but I would not think it is suited for audio anyway. There is no way you can design with tubes if you haven't read a pile of books about them. Why wouldn't you just start with the beginning and collect a lot of mixer-designs. You might even decide not to make a tube-mixer. Tubes do indeed have their charmes, but a decent design with modern opamps is way better than a three-tube stereo-mixer design. Designing your own mixer is not done by a biginner anyway. I don't mean to upset you, I just want to prevent you from a disappointment. Electronics really is a exciting hobby, but does need a lot of gathering knowledge. So get yourself some books from the library, and concerning te mixer, take an existing design. I hope you'll enjoy it as we all do.

Rafa,

There is a very simple, sturdy design in the back of the RCA tube manual which is a 2 input-1 output mixer with two level controls. In the 1947 manual it uses 6SC7 octal dual triodes; in the 1963 and later additions it uses 6EU7 miniatures.
You could of course put two such circuits in the same chassis to make a 4-to-2 mixer.

I would think that's a good place to start. I'm actually planning on throwing one together myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.