• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Great bench supply for tube work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I happened across this on Ebay, turns out to be perfect for working on tube and high voltage stuff. These supplies are used in a medical testing procedure. Apparently putting current through a gel causes certain organisms to migrate toward the electrode.
The neat part is the supplies are constant voltage, constant current, or constant wattage. The norm seems to be 0-3000 volts with a max output of 300 watts. There are lots of them on Ebay for under 100 dollars.
I use mine for checking/reforming capacitors also.

Attachments

• phoresis.jpg
    phoresis.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 910
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I bought an electrophoresis supply made by Isco (model 494) on eBay a few weeks ago for $40 plus $30 for UPS ground from Cal. 0 - 600V @300mA, 0 - 2KV @ 90mA. Constant current, constant voltage or constant power operation.. Works fine, planning on using for GM70/211/845 amplifier project development.

The seller doesn't have any on offer at the moment, but I would just do a search on eBay to see what turns up. I'd search on IBI, ISCO, and electrophoresis.

With the USPS dropping ground postage and no courier company doing a replacement, these have just become the preserve of North America only, unfortunately. Ebay for the rest of the world doesn't really have them.

Is anyone aware of a company doing ground shipping at rates comparable to the old USPS ones?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thevoice said:
With the USPS dropping ground postage and no courier company doing a replacement, these have just become the preserve of North America only, unfortunately.

I have been wondering how that move by USPS will affect small business in the US. It now means that a lot of customers outside of the US have now been lost because air is just too much money.

dave

kevinkr said:
I bought an electrophoresis supply made by Isco (model 494) on eBay a few weeks ago for $40 plus $30 for UPS ground from Cal. 0 - 600V @300mA, 0 - 2KV @ 90mA. Constant current, constant voltage or constant power operation.. Works fine, planning on using for GM70/211/845 amplifier project development.

The seller doesn't have any on offer at the moment, but I would just do a search on eBay to see what turns up. I'd search on IBI, ISCO, and electrophoresis.

Other common mnf's were Bio Rad, Hoefer, in the U.S., and Pharmacia and LKB in Europe.

I have been wondering how that move by USPS will affect small business in the US. It now means that a lot of customers outside of the US have now been lost because air is just too much money.

I never regarded surface mail from the US as a viable option. Delivery times were typically 3 - 6 months, with a high loss rate. The new 20lb flat rate box ($39) is a far better option for the heavy stuff.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
mach1 said:

I never regarded surface mail from the US as a viable option. Delivery times were typically 3 - 6 months, with a high loss rate. The new 20lb flat rate box ($39) is a far better option for the heavy stuff.

Yeah, when I was still in business (years ago) I did a lot of international trade and I can't remember one instance of shipping anything by USPS surface mail.

Shipping heavy stuff to Canada and elsewhere I generally used one of the big three. UPS in particular seems very good at handling customs issues.. JAL is good to and from Japan as well, but expensive..

kevinkr said:

Yeah, when I was still in business (years ago) I did a lot of international trade and I can't remember one instance of shipping anything by USPS surface mail.

That's what I've observed too; in the business world. For my hobby stuff I don't mind waiting 6 weeks or so. I've had quite a bit of stuff shipped surface, as the savings were quite significant if it's your money. Now that surface shipping is gone I've given up on the US for my larger hobby things. (Photographic and other equipment as well as electronics.)

All the equipment I use for work is, and always was air freighted, but that's not the market I'm talking about.

Ooooh, a thread gone OT to rant about shipping :devilr:

USPS air will always be the cheaper option. I had a 20Lb dual trace boatanchor of a scope shipped to me from Texas and that came to $39. Even under the old surface system, I would have saved maybe $5 at that weight.

The FedEx option, incl. thir BS "brokerage" would have hit $120+

My last experience with international couriers has ended up in court, twice!

Often USPS will beat the courier for delivery and I've never had a problem with them. Same with Canada Post. Sure, international is expensive (but they did only go up 4 to 6% this year), but when a parcel DID go missing the odd time, the insurance claim process was painless and I had the money in two weeks.

American sellers have to, have to, have to realize that their stupid couriers are only welcome in their own country. They should also realize that WE are paying the shipping, so stop whining about costs, blah, blah. Shipping to the UK or AU will not kill you, unless you ARE on the DHS watchlist.

As for shipping from China, have them send it "Air, Land and Sea" (that's what China Post calls it). It's really cheap and my parcels from Shenzhen arrive in 4-6 days!! :D

As for small businesses, it really hurts us. Large and mid sized businesses have contracts with shippers. Shippers won't give us little guys the time of day and treat us as a nuisance.

/end rant

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The loss of surface Parcel Post is a cruel one. Yes, it was slow, but it was cheap. I've used it since the 70s.
Recently I wanted to send small gift to a buddy in the UK, but with the loss of the economy rate, it would be $22 for a small package. Ouch!

Here in Hawaii USPS is very important to us. FedEx and UPS way overpriced.

The new international flat rare box is welcome, tho - for small stuff.

I heard somewhere brokerage is included in ups and fedex airmail?

I just love it when they open your shipment, pick through it, break it, then charge $40 brokerage. Some day i am going to ship a few charged 20KV capacitors into the states and when they pick at them their fingers will explode like lightning hitting a tree trunk.

I ordered 30000ft of magnet wire a half a year ago, they managed to snap the spool in half and ruin all the wire. I had insurance on it... still waiting for the $300 back...

This is why i use a variac fed microwave oven transformer :D

Edit: I just remembered i have to get a few hundred pounds of transformer laminations from the states, they will break them somehow i see it coming. I was also going to get a hp lcz off ebay but i am scared now. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunately I think the problem is mostly with Canadian Customs, I've never had an instance of U.S. customs opening a package from Canada. Stuff from Canada gets here quickly and with little issue in my somewhat limited experience, going the other way is often far more of a problem, my previously mentioned caveat applies.:D

UPS treats everything they ship the same: DREADFULLY! You must pack it to survive a minimum drop of 6FT. (~2M) Packing to survive falling out of the open back of a UPS truck moving at 45mph during delivery might be advisable. No, unfortunately, I'm not kidding.. :eek: :D

UPS treats everything they ship the same: DREADFULLY! You must pack it to survive a minimum drop of 6FT. (~2M) Packing to survive falling out of the open back of a UPS truck moving at 45mph during delivery might be advisable. No, unfortunately, I'm not kidding..

Kevin,

If it's any consolatation, Australia Post have the exact same 2m drop rule: I only found out after a well packed CD player arrived in three pieces and tried to make an insurance claim.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.