• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shielded input cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have designed my amp so that the input jack is at the back of the chassis but I need to run the input to the front of the amp (internally). Should I use shielded cable or does it not matter?

As an aside, for anyone who has been following my very slow progress, my chassis arrived from the metal shop a couple of days ago. I must admit the fabricators (although terminally slow) have done a very good job and copied my plans exactly. It is extremely robust. I now know that 3mm aluminum is actually quite solid, it is perhaps a little over engineered! I will post a couple of photo's in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,
I would tend to use good quality shielded cable just because it is correct and proper design. Sometimes I make my own with a length of teflon/silver wire inside a piece of braid.

You could also try twisting two pieces of hook-up wire together, using one as a ground, and run it along close to the chassis keeping it away from AC power/filament lines. In either case, if you must cross an AC line, keep the wire intersection at 90º to minimize hum pick up.

Both of these procedures will add a tiny bit of capacitance to the input, but should not cause noticable rolloff if kept as short as possible.

Looking forward to any pictures.

Victor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.