• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transcendent OTL T8 Vs. Atma-Sphere M60

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
O.K.
Nobody listened the amps in the question?!?:)

After heavy info hunting about these amps the Athma-sphere M60 is out of the question, but there is a new competitor:
The Graaf GM-20!
I would use with normal 8 Ohm, 90-92dB dynamic speakers....

Has somebody listening experiences??

Tyimo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tyimo,
I have heard the Atmosphere M60, a very good amplifier to be sure.
Why is this design eliminated? Atmosphere has a longer track record than just about anyone with continuous commercial OTL production, and in my experience they are reliable - something not always associated with OTL designs.

I haven't heard anything else you mention as they are uncommon here, and in any case I only build things I design. Comparisons have been against other DIY amplifiers and a couple of AN products (like the Ongaku and Keegon) I have been lucky to get my hands on in the past.

My one foray into OTL land was quite humorously tragic, and you can read the entire sordid tale on my website.. You probably should too before embarking on your own project. ;)

Perhaps others have the answer you seek.

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the answer!
I red your website. Interesting story....:)

I don't want to build an own design. Just a KIT or better to say a clone.
I have the book from Bruce Rosenblit with the T8 amp. He wrote very nice thinks about his design, but it is too nice to be true....
So I am looking for builders of his amps to get to know theirs opinions.
Unfortunately I never listened these amps, but I found some "negative" info about the Atmasphere amps from peoples whom I believe. i.e. :too much neutral = steril, not enough bass, too high output imp, etc.
About the Graaf I found more positive infos, however the two amps are very similar as I know....

Well, I am still looking for opinions!

Greets:

Tyimo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tyimo,
Of course those you talk to will be expressing their opinions, you'll not have the opportunity to determine whether what they hear and what you hear would be similar under the same circumstances.

I have never heard anyone complain about the Atmosphere being sterile, I've heard several different models over the years. They are very transparent and neutral. Bass response with the M60 was very good imo. The only way to get low source Z with an otl is with lots of feedback, something I try to avoid.

Start with something very simple, several designs exist using 6C33.
You're probably going to have to build something to figure out what you like. Listening opinions are just that, your experience with the exact same amp may be quite different.

I have never heard any of the Rosenblit stuff so I can't say for sure how it sounds, but plenty of people do build his amplifiers and reputedly they at least work, something not guaranteed in the world of OTLs.

Many years ago (17?) a friend of mine, George Tice, purchased a pair of Atma-Sphere MA-1 50 watt monoblocks. Yes, the same George Tice of Power Block fame. I knew him as a mutual member of the New Jersey Audio Society.

These amplifiers were early versions of the model and were entirely hand wired without PCBs like current production. Wanting a schematic of his amps, he asked the manufacture for one but Karsten refused claiming he didn't even have one for himself!

Being resourceful, George came up with a copy of the patent. (#4,719,431) Still not satisfied, he brought his amps to my shop where I reversed engineered them and drew up a schematic.

For those interested, a 6DJ8 LTP cascodes into a 12AU7 that's capacitor coupled to a differential 6CG7 cathode follower. This follower directly drives the 12 6AS7G output grids. (6 per side) The output stage is powered from two floating 150V/750mA supplies and is configured as a Circlotron® There is no overall NFB. Only un-bypassed cathode degeneration in the first stage.

Curiously, Atma-Sphere was not manufacturing what was patented. The above numbered patent clearly depicts and describes an anode follower output stage. This amp, and I assume others, is a cathode follower output.

After making sure the DC balance and bias settings were correct, I made some harmonic distortion measurments. At rated output the THD was a little over 12%. This improved as the power level went down but never went below about 1%. George loved them and couldn't hear any distortion. Some time later I did visit him on Long Island and listened to them on his system. They were very dynamic and powerful, but I did feel I heard some distortion. This may have been because I knew it was there.

Victor

HollowState said:
Many years ago (17?) a friend of mine, George Tice, purchased a pair of Atma-Sphere MA-1 50 watt monoblocks.

These amplifiers were early versions of the model and were entirely hand wired without PCBs like current production. Wanting a schematic of his amps, he asked the manufacture for one but Karsten refused claiming he didn't even have one for himself!

Being resourceful, George came up with a copy of the patent. (#4,719,431) Still not satisfied, he brought his amps to my shop where I reversed engineered them and drew up a schematic.

For those interested, a 6DJ8 LTP cascodes into a 12AU7 that's capacitor coupled to a differential 6CG7 cathode follower. This follower directly drives the 12 6AS7G output grids. (6 per side) The output stage is powered from two floating 150V/750mA supplies and is configured as a Circlotron® There is no overall NFB. Only un-bypassed cathode degeneration in the first stage.

Victor

This sounds like the exact amp i am rebuilding now. I have one of Ralphs very early prototypes. I have it running at the moment and it sounds great. I am using a old set of RCA Black Plate 6as7G tubes and they are not expected to survive. Already lost one section of one tube. I have some 6N13S tubes on there way from overseas now. But the amp i have has 8 tubes per side.

Ralph lives not far from me. He is a friend of a friend and i have been to his shop recently and i can tell you he does not have schematics himself of anything! I am reversing this old prototype amp so he has a set for himself!

Lots of upgrades since these old amps. LOTS! and these old amps sound great! His kits are well worth the $$$ But take his word, use the Russian or chinese tubes only. americano tubes doest last long.

And yes, let those tubes cook filiments only for a good 24 hours if you can stand the heat before hitting that HV switch.

I am considering building a cooking stand to cook tubes a few at a time. i have 40 on there way and really dont want to run the amp with 16 tubes in it for 24 hrs. maybe this winter would be better for that.

Zc

"use the Russian or chinese tubes only. americano tubes doest last long."

How things have changed! I've always been of the opinion that American made tubes were the best. The only exceptions were the older Europeans like Amperex, Mullard, Telefunken, Siemens, Valvo etc. I guess I remember the old days too well when Chinese tubes began to hit the market, They were garbage with specifications all over the place and plagued with high infant mortality rates.

The early MA-1 I saw used 6AS7Gs that were labeled "made in England" but had no brand name.

The need to burn in receiving tubes yourself is a modern phenomenon. American tubes were always burned in by the manufacturer and needed no more. When the RCA plant in Harrision NJ closed it's tube division I could have had all the burn-in racks I wanted, but didn't. I did get a pile of nice expensive Westinghouse panel meters which I still have.

One day, in the not too far future when I retire, I'll probably build a big triode OTL. But I'll use the NOS American stuff I've stockpiled over the years. Whether 6080WA's, carbon plate Bendix 6082's, 6336A's or B's, 6528's or even those 6394's (26V 6336A's). Too many projects and so little time.

Victor

Hi,
Many times I've read about this T8 and M60, but too tired of interneting to get those schematics so that I could start building this two amps. It's getting late and older and I must hear those awesome sounds. is there any one out there who cares to provide me at least the M60 schematic?

MC275CE service manual

Hi, Ricdelros,

I just bought an old 1993 MC275CE and something out of order that cause the first KT88 red sometimes.

Could you please send me a copy of the circuit (service manual) which I can try to find something wrong ?

Thanks in advanced.

Sincerely,
Lux350 (lux350@telsignal.com)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: MC275CE service manual

Lux350 said:
Hi, Ricdelros,

I just bought an old 1993 MC275CE and something out of order that cause the first KT88 red sometimes.

Could you please send me a copy of the circuit (service manual) which I can try to find something wrong ?

Thanks in advanced.

Sincerely,
Lux350 (lux350@telsignal.com)

dshortt9 said:
I had that problem with an MC240. Try the coupling cap at the grid of the output tube. They get leaky after many years. Black tubular thing with yellow stripes about 5cm long. 3cm dia.

Lux350 said:
Hi, DShortt9,

I will check if I can get the service manual.
However, the audio is still there when the tube in red.
But I power it off whenever I saw it sometimes, not all the time read.

Thanks.

This is kind of OT on this thread.. I'd start a new one. The McIntosh MC275CE is an entirely different animal from the OTL amps we have been discussing here. Likely though that there is a bad coupling cap - amplifier will still play even with badly disturbed bias due to leakage.

Transcendent vs Atma-Sphere

I have heard both.... as well as most of the "others"... Ralph Karsten (Atma-Sphere) and Bruce Rozenblit (Transcendent Sound) are awesome engineers each with their own design aspects..... i do have to say that i lean towards the reliability and efficiency aspect... and the Transcencent amps meet tat aspect in all regards.... not to mention te sound is simular.... I personally own the T8 Mono blocks and find myself out of the market..... many years to come with music.... these are a kit worth building which is the really cool thing about Bruce.... he provides us with info and details as to build the kit.... I am not going to mention the recent patent he acquired from his "redisigned" otl...... something that hasn't been done in several decades.... makes one think.... theres reasons for that... good luck in your audio quest.... a fun hobby and enjoyable one at that.... JR

M60 mr 3

one of the ezest amps i have ever Diy,ed

Attachments

• m60-signal[1] - Copy.gif
    m60-signal[1] - Copy.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,429
I built two M-60 Mk-2 from the Atmosphere kits when they were available back in the 90s. I thought it to be a disappointing amplifier, they had a long list of expensive upgrades they claimed would help... I sold em off. I also had a BAT VK-60 at the time and it was far far superior to the Atmosphere. The VK-60 is a very difficult tube amp to better unless you have multi thousands to throw away!!

Mark

For those interested, a 6DJ8 LTP cascodes into a 12AU7 that's capacitor coupled to a differential 6CG7 cathode follower. This follower directly drives the 12 6AS7G output grids. (6 per side) The output stage is powered from two floating 150V/750mA supplies and is configured as a Circlotron®

one of the ezest amps i have ever Diy,ed

mmmm... my first attempt of an otl and it did not work.

I tried with just 2 6080 tubes on 1 channel. Slightly different input stage, common cathode gain stage, split phase inverter, CF, and then into the grids of the 6080 with the floating supplies.

Before hooking anything up I check for dc offset - none.

Hooked up a tiny test speaker.

tested it for a split second - the 6080 tubes were pulsating, no music coming out of the speaker (well just a whisper) - BUT a rhythm coming from the tube directly with the glow pulsating!!

Ok - switch off immediately :xeye::xeye:

Maybe I am missing something in the Ciclotron/floating supplies design following the schematics.
Back to the drawing board!

LOL

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.