• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Battery bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers or background on using batteries for biasing my driver stage 6n1p.

I bought the same batteries Gary Pimm uses for his battery biased CCS (CR1225FV / Lithium 3V)

I want to try them on my design instead of the 330 ohm resistor. See schematic.

The voltage across the cathode resistors is 2,6V now. That means around 7,9mA running through the 6n1p.

Attachments

• se6c41c.gif
    se6c41c.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,550
Hi Bas,

How about bass? Usually bypassing with a cap improves that

Aha, it depends on why the bass is lacking in the first place.

If it's lacking because of an inadequately sized cap, then a bigger value will bypass down to a lower frequency.
Or,
If an anode inductor (choke or transformer) has inadequate inductance (H), then bypassing the cathode will reduce Ra, and reduce the inductance required to get down to a given frequency.

In the case of a resistively loaded stage with no bypass at all, adding a suitably large value will increase the stage gain over the entire audio band. If the valve is running at a low current, or has a high Ra, it might improve the top end response slightly, by the reduction of Ra.

If that's as clear as mud, I'm sorry ;)

Cheers,

The circuit shown in the picture is a mu-stage. Be careful with battery biasing there bacause the bias point is set by the upper penthode. It's a fixed current system instead of fixed voltage. In a mu-stage you won't find much difference in gain if you bypass the triode's cathode resistor or not because of the anode load (the penthode) wich is very high compared to the triode's cathode resistor.

Battery bias works just fine in anode follower or choke/transformer loaded circuits wich are actually fixed voltage systems. Tubes really like it if you run them in a fixed quiesent current or in a fixed cathode voltage, you can't do both, one factor has to vary with the grid voltage otherwise it's not an amplifier anymore.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Mu-followers work very well with fixed bias on the lower valve, whether it is battery bias (on grid or cathode), diode bias (cathode), or a PSU to supply grid bias. The gain doesn't change from unbypassed resistive bias, but the power supply noise rejection improves...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CATHODE BYPASSES AGAIN.

Hi,

The gain doesn't change from unbypassed resistive bias, but the power supply noise rejection improves...

While this theory is correct,bypassing the cathode R on SRPP circuits will add its' own colouration to the circuit.

It is a given that a mu follower_approaching a CCS_ is still very sensitive to PSU regulation.

I hear,once again,a lot of people dismissing this kind of circuit on the basis of hearsay and a basic misunderstanding of what it can do.

No circuit topology is ever perfect but the next step up to the mu-follower is a CCS loaded stage triode.

How you achieve this is open for debate but I think a few semi-conductors around the top penthode are doing less damage to the sound then a cathode bypass soundwise.

Just my 2 cents,;)

Hi bas, you still need a cathode resistor.
Normaly you set the bias current with the cathode resistor by a given anode voltage. Lets say that the upper penthode is a true constant current source. The bias current is then set by this current source. The cathode resistor of the triode now doesn't set the current anymore but it sets the amount of voltage on the anode of the triode.

What where the audible differences in bypassing the cathode ?

A mu-stage is not the same as a SRPP.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SRPP.

Hi,

A mu-stage is not the same as a SRPP.

Yes and no,it is a derivative of the SRPP.

The cathode resistor of the triode now doesn't set the current anymore but it sets the amount of voltage on the anode of the triode.

Again,yes and no.It primary use is to polarize the grid.
Tie that cathode to ground and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,;)

batteries

Hi Bas ,
I only see a problem with using a cathode battery on this if it's a lithium like you stated . The battery must be a rechargeable type . I use NimH (nickel-metal hydride?) for SE input stages and find it an improvement over an LED or bypassed resistor , quieter than unbypassed resistor too . All down to personal taste but it's cheap so maybe try it

316a

In a mu-stage you won't find much difference in gain if you bypass the triode's cathode resistor or not because of the anode load (the penthode) wich is very high compared to the triode's cathode resistor.

Hi Sjef,

For interest sake:
I read Allan Kimmel again. The bypass cap does indeed not increase gain but does however lower output impedance

What where the audible differences in bypassing the cathode

Was a very short listening periode but it appeared that the midrange seemed accentuated more than the bottom and top end..providing a seemingly "bigger"" soundstage.

I bypassed with a 2200uF Rubycon.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MU-FOLLOWERS.

Hi,

Perhaps this means that my mu stage is not working right?

This is quite possible.
Having built some of these circuits, I can say that in fact adding a bypass cap shouldn't change the gain of the mu-follower at all.

Could it be you made the calculations for your stage with a bypass cap in place?

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.