Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2001, 06:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Hi all

Does excessive crackling in an old valve bass amp indicate faulty valves?
The crackling noise is constant and does not really change when the volume control is moved.

If so, then would anyone know where I could find new valves in South Africa?
Old 6th November 2001, 06:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Either that or something's loose inside the enclosure (it's a combo, right?)... bass amps are subject to much more mechanical vibrations than regular ones, and this makes things go loose.
Old 6th November 2001, 07:01 PM   #3
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

Try cleaning the tube sockets and tube pins. This is often a source of noise in older tube equipment caused by oxidation on the metal contacts. Use a good electronic contact cleaner and gently brush the socket contacts with a pipe cleaner or similar tool and clean the tube pins with a cotton swab.

If that doesn't do it you could have some coupling caps getting leaky but I'd bet on dirty sockets.

Old 27th August 2002, 04:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default cleaning tube sockets

Just a quick question since I have a similar problem with an old Calrad sa30b amp. I do have another thread going on my issue under "...distortion..."

How do you clean the tube socket with a pipe cleaner? My sockets are tiny! Are there pipe cleaners or similar tools that can get in there?

Thanks from an aspiring diyer,
Rick
Old 27th August 2002, 01:57 PM   #5
HDTVman is offline HDTVman  United States
diyAudio Member

Fragman56

Try looking for pipe cleaners at a hobby/craft store. Sometimes they have several different sizes for craft projects.

Later Bruce

Hide this!Advertise here!