• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Houston Mini 2004 Pot question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

the Houston Mini 2004 has an ALPS 250KAX2 pot between the RCA input and the preamp.

There is a 62k resistor soldered between pin 3 and pin 2, or between input and output.

Can somebody enlighten me about the potential purpose of this resistor?

As I would like to change the pot to a different type, I would like to reduce the pot value to 100k (any opinion?) and eliminate that resistor.

Best regards

Patrick

it would seem like that resistor might keep the resistance value of the pot from going lower than that. Is anything connected to pin 3 other than the resistor? Is it a 3 pin pot? what is connected to the other pins? (I assume you mean the input is going into the middle pin)

So if I remember the math correctly my total pot should have been reduced to roundabout 1/(1/250 + 1/62) = 50kOhm.

If so, I do not understand why the manufacturer did not simply use a 50k pot.

The tube following the pot has a resistance of 62.5 k (ECC83), and as by chance the resistor's value matches that. I honestly am a little bit confused... further enlightment is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.