• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AU7 instead of 6C4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.
I am rebuilding/restoring jackson model 103 tube tester.

It has 6C4 triode tube in it. The one that was there is bad, need to be replaced.
Now, I don't have any 6C4 tubes around but I have bunch of 12AU7 tubes. So my thought was: to add 9pin socket with inside-the-unit switch or to completely replace 7-pin socket with 9-pin socket , rewire and use half of 12AU7 instead.
The question is should this work fine for the tester or am I asking for trouble?
If it is ok, then the other half of the question would be how to do it right, - I mean, what to do with the second triode of the tube - leave open, ground or what? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Or should I just forget about the whole "idea" and just swing over eBay for 6C4s? :)
thanks in advance for an advice.
/best regards

Yeah, good point

ethermion said:
A 6C4 costs less than a pack of Camels.
..and I blame goverment for that.

:D
seriouselly, though
I guess my "idea" does not make any practical sense :eek:
but then, I can say the same thing about the fact that I am sitting here spending all that time restoring this rusty metal box to begin with. So common sense is not a common thing in my case :D

Your call. Replace the 6C4 for $4, and it will still be a Jackson 103. Sub a 12AU7, and it will become just a rusty metal box. A 6C4 does look like 1/2 a 12AU7, but tube test equipment is funny stuff.

Given that your tester is down, what makes you think the 6C4 is bad?

ethermion said:
Your call. Replace the 6C4 for $4, and it will still be a Jackson 103.
not so, unless I spend another three plus nights and days or so with it.
It's easier to build a new one than to restor a such thing in such shape.
ethermion said:
Sub a 12AU7, and it will become just a rusty metal box.
heh heh, no way. Rust and dirt is my specialty. I take no prisoners :clown:.
well, my main idea was actully to add the second socket with switch inside the unit, so it would be an extra option, so it can be 'switched' to use either 6C4 either 12AU7.
ethermion said:
A 6C4 does look like 1/2 a 12AU7, but tube test equipment is funny stuff.
That's why I asked. The characteristics on paper look the same. I've read somewhere people literally mentioning that 6C4 is basically the same as 12AU7 but single. So I thought somebody here may know first hand that it is or is not ok to use either in the same circuit and expecting the same operation (result).
ethermion said:
.. what makes you think the 6C4 is bad?
tested on the tester that is not down. :)

I guess the right way to do it is to get 6C4. Put back together the unit , test some tubes make notes, then add the 12AU7 option, try it test same tubes, make notes, and then conclude whether it was or was not a "good idea". :idea: :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.