• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help me get started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there! I want to build a stereo tube power amp but I am having a hard time figuring out which one to build. I have built several guitar amps, but I know a lot more about which models I like in that arena.

I have only heard a few no name tube amps, but I was totally impressed by the sound. I am looking for one with great sound and moderate power that is fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to build. I have all the tools for building a chassis and turret boards so I pretty much will just need trannys (hammond?) and caps.

I was kind of thinking of EL-34s or KT-88s. I am not sure if I want PP or SE. I will be using it to listen to tunes on the patio while drinking beer at my bar and telling my buddies about how tubes are magic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I'm gonna be the 'cracked record' and suggest you start off right with some book-larnin', namely, by reading Morgan Jones's 'Valve Amplifiers'.

The fact that you know Guitar amps is an advantage but the requirements for hi-fi amps are a bit different. As to whether you really need the power of PP for your patio amp, that probably depends on how far it is to your nearest neighbours and how tolerant they are! On the other hand, I reckon it's probably easier to get good results with PP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.