Biggest dual triode output tube? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Biggest dual triode output tube?

Can anybody point me to the biggest power dual triode available in octal or noval? I'm planning to build the OTL headphone Aikido, but to drive 32 ohm speakers, and I think there must be something more powerful than the 6H30 tubes in Broskie's schematic that still can be stuffed onto the existing PCB's.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 6336A or the 6528 are the biggest that I know of, but they are total overkill for headphones. 7236/5998 would be closer, but they are hard to find. There is always the 6AS7/6080 but the mu is low at 2. Look at 6BL7 or 6BX7 too. All have the same pinout as the 6SN7.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
The 6336A or the 6528 are the biggest that I know of, but they are total overkill for headphones.
Thanks. It's not for a headphone amp, I plan to make 32 ohm speakers and an amp to drive them without OPT.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
The 6336A or the 6528 are the biggest that I know of, but they are total overkill for headphones. 7236/5998 would be closer, but they are hard to find. There is always the 6AS7/6080 but the mu is low at 2. Look at 6BL7 or 6BX7 too. All have the same pinout as the 6SN7.
one vote for the 5998! Also, speaking of 6BL7, does anyone have any projects that use these that might have a nice PCB available? I'm not so good at p2p wiring ...

Hide this!Advertise here!