NEWBIE question SET vs. Solid State - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2007, 11:50 PM   #11
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

For the price that amp is probably ok. As mentioned you could build something better for the same price. Though it can take quite a bit of time to build something that is refined enough to be a permanent part of your system. At least if your as picky as I am. Personally I would purchase that amp then build another one if your heart desires. That way you won't feel rushed on the build. Plus, you can never have too many tube amps
Old 21st August 2007, 01:43 AM   #12
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I can heartily recommend the TubeLab SimpleSE. If you have some basic tools and can solder it is a peace of cake to build and will cost you around half of what that parts express amp is selling for. It only took me a couple of days to build mine (it is the one on the builders amps section of the tubelab site). I am extremely happy with mine. On the TubeLab web site my comments mention that there is a very slight hum with this amp. I have since discovered that this hum was due to my slack routing of signal and power wiring behind my entertainment unit (I have emailed George to notify him of this). The amp is virtually dead quiet. I have tried the amp with JJ E34L tubes and JJ KT88 tubes. This amp sounds sweet!
Old 21st August 2007, 02:12 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
the TubeLab SimpleSE
Add that one to the list -- i've been considering that one too.

I just recently made a post on another thread, much of which is apropro to this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...21#post1282821

dave
Old 21st August 2007, 08:02 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I built this simple KT88 single ended amp and have been very happy with the results. I would guestimate power at around 6-7 watts. I`ve compared it favourably against some fairly well known designs and it did very well. Highly recommended.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1119993206

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-...0-Audio003.jpg
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I can heartily recommend the TubeLab SimpleSE. If you have some basic tools and can solder it is a peace of cake to build and will cost you around half of what that parts express amp is selling for. It only took me a couple of days to build mine (it is the one on the builders amps section of the tubelab site). I am extremely happy with mine. On the TubeLab web site my comments mention that there is a very slight hum with this amp. I have since discovered that this hum was due to my slack routing of signal and power wiring behind my entertainment unit (I have emailed George to notify him of this). The amp is virtually dead quiet. I have tried the amp with JJ E34L tubes and JJ KT88 tubes. This amp sounds sweet!

I'll second this - the Simple SE is about as easy to build as a DIY amp can be (everything's on a single small circuit board), more fun than buying an amp, and a bunch cheaper to boot. I can only hear a faint hum from mine if my ear is brushing the speaker cone. Why buy Chinese?
Old 1st September 2007, 11:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm going to take the advice given and make the TubeLab SimpleSE my first project. Has anyone gone through all the logistics of ordering the PC board and parts that might give me some pointers? The website doesn't look very automated and I'm trying to figure out how to order what I need.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 1st September 2007, 04:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awhite1159
I'm going to take the advice given and make the TubeLab SimpleSE my first project. Has anyone gone through all the logistics of ordering the PC board and parts that might give me some pointers? The website doesn't look very automated and I'm trying to figure out how to order what I need.

Thanks to all for your help.

George's website is not automated at all. E-mail him and tell him which board you want. He takes payment by Pay Pal.

There is a full BOM with suggested parts to populate the board on the site, that should get you started. Some things you'll have to figure for yourself, like switches, input jacks, binding posts and such. And a chassis.
Old 4th September 2007, 12:59 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well I just ordered the bulk of the components to populate the PCB. (SimpleSE) I don't know what anybody else thinks about the online ordering systems these parts suppliers use but I find them rather frustrating. I have a question about the 8 pin octal sockets. I could not find it on AES but found this:

http://www.tubedepot.com/sk-8pinpcg.html

This seems to be what I need. Does anyone know of a 1-stop shopping website for these parts? I still have to order the power trans, output trans, volume pot, etc. (All the stuff not on the PCB.)

I apologize if this question has already been answered in another thread but could not find one.
Old 5th September 2007, 12:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awhite1159
Well I just ordered the bulk of the components to populate the PCB. (SimpleSE) I don't know what anybody else thinks about the online ordering systems these parts suppliers use but I find them rather frustrating. I have a question about the 8 pin octal sockets. I could not find it on AES but found this:

http://www.tubedepot.com/sk-8pinpcg.html

This seems to be what I need.
Those will work.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a 1-stop shopping website for these parts? I still have to order the power trans, output trans, volume pot, etc. (All the stuff not on the PCB.)

I apologize if this question has already been answered in another thread but could not find one.
I don't think there's a truly one-stop supplier out there. I used thetubestore.com (sockets, 12AT7), DigiKey (500 V Panasonic caps, screw terminals, misc parts), Allied (power xformer and choke, cap clamp, other misc parts that DigiKey didn't stock), Sonicraft (metal film & Mills resistors, Sonicap coupling caps, RCA's and binding posts), ebay (Transcendar OPT's, motor run cap), Lowe's (grommets, nuts and bolts, spray paint) and Linens 'n' Things (heavy aluminum roasting pan that I used as a chassis!).

I still don't have a decent photo of it, but here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1020406a.jpg (76.0 KB, 493 views)
Old 5th September 2007, 02:01 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hey Lousymusician, Thanks! I got most of the stuff ordered that populates the PCB. I like that Linen and Things idea. The chassis looks great. Maybe I'll cut a piece from that cooking sheet and use it as the deck in a nice wood frame. (Got plenty of oak laying around.)

Hide this!Advertise here!