• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anywhere in Hong Kong...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jonclancy said:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the on the spot feedback! I was wondering where you found the caps, please (I'll be in HK in a couple of weeks).

If you see this message in time, I recommend dinner at The Spring Deer, 42, Mody Road, Kowloon. 2366 4012. Great Peking Duck, and if you like Tsing Tao.............. :D

The stall was just to the right of the
Sham Shui Po MTR station on the other side of the road - it was a very small stall and the elderly vendor only spoke Chinese - he was very affronted when I suggested they might be fakes and my collegue checked his stock (original boxes etc.) and confirmed they were OK. Starting price was HKD 20 each, and I beat him down a bit (I bought 10). They are actually 470uF/500VDC (CD p/n 520CE1055), not 400uF as I originally said (see eBay item 110155252054 for an example).

As for Tsing Tao, I've tried most of them! As I was staying/working in Central we tended to eat there - I'll be back in a couple of weeks, so I'll check that restaurant out..

Cheers

Hi Nick,

Thanks very much for the steer. I assume that is the MTR exit that comes out onto Ap Liu Street? I'll definitely be making a visit - and hope I can find this gent. I've got some other plans brewing for my trip - if these work out, I'll post my findings here.

All the best

Jon

Hi there!

I am new at this. A friend suggested this forum. It has been very helpful so far. Let me just chime in by saying that I was just in Hong Kong where I bought a tube amplifier, Chinese brand (Guangzhou) with four 6550's. I agree with the above warnings about HK and China in general. Audition everything you find, test everything and, most important, haggle! This incudes shopping around a lot and being open about it. I paid 2000 HKD for the amplifier. They asked 5000... I bought it on my return visit from the mainland. This way it is affordable to play around with audio gear :).

MarkD said:
... Audition everything you find, test everything and, most important, haggle! This incudes shopping around a lot and being open about it.

Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't - the traders in HK can either be charming and friendly, or downright rude.

I'm back in HK at the moment and should get to Apliu Street and surroundings tomorrow for another look. Frankly, even with 40Kg baggage allowance, I suspect that buying on eBay and shipping by email will be cheaper & safer... I'll audition here, but buy by another route. Specifically, I'm looking at various Mr Liang models...

Hi All,

I'm back in HK next week and hope to visit some DIY places up in Mong Kok. I had an excellent time recently meeting up with Redwine and received some promising steers from him. I don't have much to post as yet, but will as soon as I've had the chance to visit some of the establishments.

One thing I would say at the moment is to check the prices carefully. For instance, I find HK more expensive than the USA for camera lenses at the moment, and I can find a pair of UK sourced Sennheiser HD650 for much cheaper than I can in HK. Clearly more research to be done............ ;)

Cheers

Jon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.