• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

IT WORKS! Tube Phono Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from Shoog
Arnold - Any ideas where we might find the revised circuit.

I would very much like to see that too...

from zarniwoop
maybe a $50 project. i'll have to post a schematic

Please do - I am curious about the 'back-to'back' trafos you mention

from Jeb-D
Those are some pretty serious caps your using

Yes, they are :D They were what was dug from the bin. They seem to work, but I am surre Thorsten would upbraid my use of electrolytics for B+ decoupling :cannotbe:

from Shoog
Theres definately a tightening of the overall presentation

I have a variation of the basic KYW design that uses CCS to load the plates on the 2nd stage (6DJ8). Is that where you have installed yours?

from fred76
Are those 10nF caps Russian Mica, and the 1nF pair radial polystyrene?

Exactly! (although I'm not sure that the 10nF mica's are Russian or not). In any case, they are fugitives from my parts bin. I intend to order some 'proper' caps from Solen now that I know the cct works.

Jess

quote:
Theres definately a tightening of the overall presentation

I have a variation of the basic KYW design that uses CCS to load the plates on the 2nd stage (6DJ8). Is that where you have installed yours?

Yes thats where I have mine.
On further listening I have a slight feeling that the bass is a bit more recessed than it was. I don't know how that might have come about because the input impedance of the ECC88 should remain the same I think. Could be because my rail voltage has sagged a bit.

Shoog

JesseG said:

from fred76

Exactly! (although I'm not sure that the 10nF mica's are Russian or not). In any case, they are fugitives from my parts bin. I intend to order some 'proper' caps from Solen now that I know the cct works.

Jess

Thanks, I think you already have good Eq caps. Try to bypass the decoupling Aerovox lytics with some cheap 1uF/400VDC (or any small value) polyesters and see if the highs smoothen out.

A good CCS at the top of the ECC88 might help the bass part. Another alt are plate chokes but it would cost more and require more space and placement consideration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.