Spelling, capitalization, and grammar. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2007, 10:38 PM   #1
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Valves/tubes interest a wide variety of people, and this is useful because the young can benefit from the direct experience of those "rich in years" ("old farts," if you like). Please note, however, that we "old farts" treat language as a precision tool and are irritated by people typing "i" when they should type "I" and using other examples of textspeak.

Moral: If you want help, remember not to annoy the people most able to give it.
Old 20th July 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Valves/tubes interest a wide variety of people, and this is useful because the young can benefit from the direct experience of those "rich in years" ("old farts," if you like). Please note, however, that we "old farts" treat language as a precision tool and are irritated by people typing "i" when they should type "I" and using other examples of textspeak.

Moral: If you want help, remember not to annoy the people most able to give it.

even if I agree with "Moral" from your post , I have just two complains (observations , to be precise) :

1. even if I don't know exact issue (case,whatever) why I have impression that you are probably more iritated with someone's attitude,than with lack of one of 3R skills ;

2.be genuine old fart ( and - just for record , I feel exactly as one) and just say names of offenders.........

Old 20th July 2007, 10:54 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

EC is just in one of his grumpy moods. That is, he's acting perfectly normal for him.

My pet peeves are the argumentative responses from someone I'm trying to help and the constant, constant, constant misuse of the term "bias" to mean "idle current." Not to mention the guy who will spend a thousand bucks on some rare output tubes but won't get an oscilloscope. Or the guy with a $2 tube who wants to make his amp accommodate it no matter what the cost. Oh, yes, and the guy who won't do his homework and wants everything spoon-fed. "Well, that's nice, but can you recalculate that for a gain of 10?" And while I'm complaining...

Quote:
just say names of offenders.........
His name is Legion.
Old 20th July 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I agree with EC8010. Inattention to grammar, puctuation and capitalization are irritating. I don't mean people to whom English is a foreign language, I'm talking about people who should know better. You know who you are!
Old 20th July 2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

While I am certainly on your side EC, I find there are more annoying things than those listed in your post. SY hinted at it. It's the misuse of words.

Any old woofer nowadays seems to be called a sub. I've seen 4" units called subs. I'm not as old or farty as some here but a sub has an Fs of 20Hz or below. That's the only qualification I've ever known.

A dynamic or other transducer capable of reproducing a reasonable level of subsonic frequencies.

Where did we begin to stray?
Old 20th July 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Pfffffft. My pet peeve? Prescriptive grammarians. The point of language is to communicate, and if you understand, that's good enough

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth
I agree with EC8010. Inattention to grammar, puctuation and capitalization are irritating. I don't mean people to whom English is a foreign language, I'm talking about people who should know better. You know who you are!
There are at least 2 and arguably 3 errors in this short post bemoaning such errors -- though perhaps spelling is not on EC8010's list.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod
even if I agree with "Moral" from your post , I have just two complains (observations , to be precise) :

1. even if I don't know exact issue (case,whatever) why I have impression that you are probably more iritated with someone's attitude,than with lack of one of 3R skills ;

2.be genuine old fart ( and - just for record , I feel exactly as one) and just say names of offenders.........

This one is even worse. Before you guys agree with something, make sure you know what you are agreeing to.
Old 20th July 2007, 11:35 PM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk

There are at least 2 and arguably 3 errors in this short post bemoaning such errors -- though perhaps spelling is not on EC8010's list.

This one is even worse. Before you guys agree with something, make sure you know what you are agreeing to.
you can't be serious............
Old 21st July 2007, 12:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Gosh, I think it would be terrible for someone to miss out on the fun of experimenting with tube circuits just because they have trouble with spelling or grammer. I also think that someone could be very good at one thing and have trouble with another. My spelling and grammer leaves much to be desired, but I think I can hold my own slinging solder.
Old 21st July 2007, 12:41 AM   #9
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cal Weldon, you're making a joke, aren't you?
Old 21st July 2007, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

never expected this here.
It is a popular debate in german boards and there it is meant dead serious.
Not only grumpy old men complain about the youth, but a broad audience is annoyed by the attitude of a few. That it is...the attitude or lack of it. Nobody complains about missing knowledge or skills.
regards
Jürgen

Hide this!Advertise here!