Spelling, capitalization, and grammar. - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2007, 03:12 PM   #261
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Subject line gentlemen.
Old 17th August 2007, 04:59 PM   #262
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ray_moth

Ah, a man of taste! My own favourite, right now, is a 6SL7 LTP splitter with pentode CCS in the tail, followed by 6SN7 diff driver, and trioded EL34s in the output. NFB is cross-coupled from OP tube plates to 6SL7 plates. No hum or noise whatsoever! I think that configuration may possibly not have enough gain for pentode mode, though, because of the heavier NFB required, but I'd like to try it.

It is always a pleasure to find that someone agrres with one!

I like the idea of the pentode CCS (more glass). I have written about these elsewhere in this forum - in fact my 813 amplifier in its final version, had a pentode sink (an EL822) sitting under the 6BX7 driver stage.

For a high gain input stage, I tried many types, although never 6SL7. Amongst my choices were EC8010, triode strapped E280F, triode strapped D3A (really good this one - mu 80 and piles of gm) 6AN4 and finally in an idea for a riaa stage that was only half-built, WE416D

I also like very much the pentode cathode follower. Here is somewhere where a pentode (run as a pentode) can also do some serious good.

7N7
Old 18th August 2007, 02:16 AM   #263
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Subject line gentlemen.
I am sorry, I was sorely tempted by 7N7's post: a pet subject. That is no excuse, of course, and I realise I should not have hijacked this edifying thread in so cavlier and self-indulgent a fashion. In truth, since just about everything I can think of on the proper topic has already been said, I suppose I'll just have to stop posting to this thread. (No promises, mind you.)
Old 18th August 2007, 03:51 AM   #264
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I am sorry, I was sorely tempted by 7N7's post: a pet subject. That is no excuse, of course, and I realise I should not have hijacked this edifying thread in so cavlier and self-indulgent a fashion. In truth, since just about everything I can think of on the proper topic has already been said, I suppose I'll just have to stop posting to this thread. (No promises, mind you.)
I agree completely, it's time to exercise some self-discipline and return to the main topic which is "Spelling, capitalization, and grammar."

I must ask that there be no more diviations from the subject.

Remember Gentlemen, this *IS* the tube forum!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th August 2007, 07:35 AM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO

I agree completely, it's time to exercise some self-discipline and return to the main topic which is "Spelling, capitalization, and grammar."

I must ask that there be no more diviations from the subject.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Yes quite so - and mea culpa again from me...

7N7
Old 18th August 2007, 08:09 AM   #266
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
Although in Blighty, we'd call it the "valve" forum.

I recently suffered this "word";

"Optioneering"

(Offered at a pensions presentation, and no, I haven't any idea what it was supposed to mean, either.)
Old 18th August 2007, 09:20 AM   #267

Ah, the culprit! You started this thread, now lots of us are sinking in it - it's like quicksand!

Quote:
I recently suffered this "word";
"Optioneering"
We pensioners sometimes have trouble hearing clearly. Maybe what you heard could have been: "Auctioneering"?
Old 18th August 2007, 11:00 AM   #268
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Quote:
We pensioners sometimes have trouble hearing clearly. Maybe what you heard could have been: "Auctioneering"?
Sadly, the "word" was typed in a Powerpoint slide, what I heard was total bollox.

Edit (re. quicksand): Guilty as charged.
Old 18th August 2007, 05:10 PM   #269
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I thought that perhaps I should point out that in my last post, where I admonished the participants of this thread to return to the "main" thread of Spelling, Capitalization and grammar was made entirely in jest.

I have to say that this thread has gone all over the place, many times quite wide of the mark and, for me at least, has been both enjoyable and very educational. I have never thought about, nor known the first thing about what problems might exist with the power grid of other places or countries of the World. The opinions about amps has been very informative and has caused me to realize why some of the choices that are made can reflect very real and practical solutions to realities that I was only dimly aware of.

If anyone thought that I was "uptight" about the meanderings of this thread, I apologize as that is quite far from the truth. This actually reminds me of a conversation one would have among friends in the local tavern or pub. Quite refreshing actually, compared to many threads that I have read on this and other forums over the years.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 18th August 2007, 05:43 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

Default OK - Off-Topic...

Quote:
I thought that perhaps I should point out that in my last post, where I admonished the participants of this thread to return to the "main" thread of Spelling, Capitalization and grammar was made entirely in jest.

I have to say that this thread has gone all over the place, many times quite wide of the mark and, for me at least, has been both enjoyable and very educational. I have never thought about, nor known the first thing about what problems might exist with the power grid of other places or countries of the World. The opinions about amps has been very informative and has caused me to realize why some of the choices that are made can reflect very real and practical solutions to realities that I was only dimly aware of.

If anyone thought that I was "uptight" about the meanderings of this thread, I apologize as that is quite far from the truth. This actually reminds me of a conversation one would have among friends in the local tavern or pub. Quite refreshing actually, compared to many threads that I have read on this and other forums over the years.

Best Regards,
TerryO

EC8010 will like this..

http://www.picato.net/mypicato/mypicture/?mpID=32402

7N7

Hide this!Advertise here!