Spelling, capitalization, and grammar. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2007, 12:01 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I can't spell to save my life, but by hitting that little spell check arrow in the Google toolbar, I almost look eduamakated. My pet peeve is misuse and/or misunderstanding of the term "impedance matching".
Old 21st July 2007, 12:09 AM   #12
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
As long as they don't use 'U' and 'R' in place of 'you' and 'are' I don't care much.

There's a difference between AOL'er noobs that are just dumb, and ESL people... We have a lot of members that don't have english as their primary language... They need some slack cut.

Also, whether a post is spelled properly, and capitalized properly, doesn't take away from it's data, unless it's damn AOLspeak

OMG I NEED BUILD AMP
U R COOL FRIEND
Old 21st July 2007, 12:24 AM   #13
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Native vs. non-native

I think EC was careful to make the distinction. My written French and German are horrible, so I'm more than a little sympathetic to folks who are daring and/or desperate enough to write in another language. I'm continually amazed at how well people do it...

In any event, that's different than the fellow who will only communicate communicate via texting shorthand unreadable by just the old farts he needs to help him with his problem. Or the dreaded ALL CAPS GUY.

POS GTG
Old 21st July 2007, 12:24 AM   #14
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't spell worth a darn, however my kids are terrific spellers because they were taught "real" phonics at home. Grammar is a different story, as it makes what you're trying to say much clearer.
Here's an example:

A woman, without her man, is nothing.

A woman: without her, man is nothing.

You tell me which one is conveying what I really mean.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 21st July 2007, 12:31 AM   #15
PeteN is offline PeteN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

LOL [not irony, honest] never expected to see a 'rant' thread on here!

Anyway, I have to say, although I agree with your point (people should, for example, use the Shift key as well as the key for the first letter of their new sentence), from several years of bumming around various 'net communities, the 'old farts' are almost as bad as us youngsters!
Aside from people with bad English due to it being a 2nd/3rd/beyond language, the standard on here really is *good* (compared to, say, gamer forums).

Hope I'm not coming across as one of those who seems to require spoon-feeding! (I always try to stick my posts up in a "Can I just run this past you..." format to show I've read around it even if just a little :P)

Also, it seems some people take great glee (or perhaps do it without meaning to) from making their posts as obscure as possible for us newbies to decipher, notwithstanding bad grammar! Several times now I've had to write-off a thread as 'useless' purely because the reply that should have contained the information was just a collection of facts or suggestions without explanations that could just maybe stop a redundant post appearing ("Your Rp is too low.")
This applies to websites as much as forums, I guess...
Old 21st July 2007, 12:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The proliferation of text messaging and yes, even forums, has further degraded the already sad state of affairs with America's use (or lack thereof) of proper grammar, spelling, and vocabulary.

ONLY speaking of Americans- not those smarter than me who know another language.

We are soooo poor in language, and the careful use of correct terminology, as SY has stated. Anyone read any George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Shakespeare, or "Common Sense" lately?

They use sentences 125 words long, and won't repeat a word. Phenomenal vocabulary that I have to look up to understand. It's difficult to even follow; it's almost like another language.

Best we can do today is 'cool', 'awesome', and 'great' for expletives (if I've used that properly).

I write technical reports every day (EE), and not only appreciate the proper use of language, but recognize my 3rd grade abilities. Attention to the details will expand one's knowledge, and ability to transfer information to the eager listener. Let's all try to do better.
Old 21st July 2007, 12:57 AM   #17
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow I don't know how to take this.

English is my native language nor have I ever been a good speller.

Also my grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but I never thought I would be alienated do to this fact.

Although I do think the instant messaging short hand detrimental to the english speaking children of this world.

I think this post could make some people afraid to post a question in fear of reprisal of errors.

Nick
Old 21st July 2007, 12:58 AM   #18
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zigzagflux

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are soooo poor in language, and the careful use of correct terminology, as SY has stated. Anyone read any George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Shakespeare, or "Common Sense" lately?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You left out one of my favorite writers, namely Thomas Babington Macaulay.

Often cited as being second only to Shakespeare, at least in the English language, it's an absolute delight to read his works.

Then outspake brave Horatius.
The captain of the gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?

Quoted from: The Lays of Ancient Rome

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 21st July 2007, 01:09 AM   #19
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I have to agree with the points put forth. There is a question of intelligibility here. Many times I have struggled to get the meaning of a post is a mass of letters and words (?).

no capitals or periods to end a thought while i babel on u r having trouble deciphering the dribble add spelling micakes just makes things more frustratin ;-)

Often, I am tempted to simply delete those posts.

Yes, attitude when trying to give someone a hand will normally set me off as well.

-Chris
Old 21st July 2007, 01:50 AM   #20
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

So does this mean if I make a few mistake's then I should just get lost?

Nick

Hide this!Advertise here!