• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nhuwar said:
So does this mean if I make a few mistake's then I should just get lost?

Nick

No, it means that once you realize that you've made a mistake, you strive to understand where the error lies and correct it. Then, armed with your newfound knowledge, you are prepaired to return to the thick of the battle.

This is true for nearly any aspect of human existance (including DIY Audio).
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

This I understand but understand this, this thread could be detramental to this forum.

This topic could send some people away in fear if there not certian of there exact english.

I'm just worried that if I'm not perfect with my spelling and grammar my post will be seen as an annoyances.

I try my best at spelling and grammar but i'm human so I inherently make mistake's.

Nick

Must be the humiditity over there, or global toasting brain flog tonight! I'm going to take the opposite-sameside position/unposition tonight. (HeHe!) It's just more interesting to come up with "better" spellings sometimes than plain old-fart English. Like alumininium or transformatorator, half wave rectumfrier or shaftenkluger (I use this tool on my projects when thangs don't quite fit). Irregardless and disregardless and even so-regardless of all dem dumb spell chackers, I would like to see a spelling distorter program offered to us shtinking offenders! Free of course or at huge taxprayer expense. Sometimnes its more fun to make the reader do a few suummersalts. Shleep well on that note!

Don

nhuwar said:
This I understand but understand this, this thread could be detramental to this forum.

This topic could send some people away in fear if there not certian of there exact english.

I'm just worried that if I'm not perfect with my spelling and grammar my post will be seen as an annoyances.

I try my best at spelling and grammar but i'm human so I inherently make mistake's.

Nick

Nick,

Are you proposing that this thread be declared a "hate crime?" It seems that just about anything that causes discomfort for someone is being attacked as hateful, or worse. I'd rather live in an enviornment where people are allowed to say whatever they want, than in one where everyone must agree with what's being said.
YMMV....

Best Regards,
TerryO

nhuwar said:
I think it is I who owe th appology to you all.

I think I let myself get the best of me.

Nick

Nick,
As far as I'm concerned, the best of you is certainly welcome here. Don't let it get you down and, whatever else, don't ever give up! I'm not sure how old you are, but it wasn't until I was about 26 or 27 before I could write anything even approaching an adult level. When it comes to language usage, more is caught than taught...that's how we started speaking our native language as a baby.

Listen carefully to how you speak, if you're like most of us, your spoken usage is probably much better than your written usage.

Read as much as you can and remember how the author used the words to express himself (and don't give up!) Most authors, even the greatest, usually have to write and rewrite several drafts before it goes to the publishers, and they're the Pro's!

So when you read words that seem to literally soar with ease, remember that they were probably launched from atop a mountain of mistakes.
;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

smoking-amp said:
It's just more interesting to come up with "better" spellings sometimes than plain old-fart English. Like alumininium or transformatorator, half wave rectumfrier or shaftenkluger (I use this tool on my projects when thangs don't quite fit).

Then you gotta get on over to the solid state forum and read destroyer X's musings. He is a savant in this regard. For a partial summary, look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1135750#post1135750

And, yes, I'm serious.

Sheldon

I'm not sure how old you are, but it wasn't until I was about 26 or 27 before I could write anything even approaching an adult level.

I'm 27,and still can't spayell worth a daymm.

Chatting online and TXT'ing have gotten the best of me..
Punctuation is non-existant (existent: had to look it up!) in most cases.. <- and that's another bad habit I've picked up,adding 9000 periods after everything.... ugh. :cannotbe:

I think I understand the point of the thread, though it could have been more precisely stated.

The issue isn't people with poor grammar or spelling, but people who don't even try. We're often trying to get fairly complicated concepts across, and it's frustrating when you're trying to help someone and have to read the post 5 times to understand what they're even saying.

Usually even people whose primary language is not english make more sense because they are at least trying to get it correct.

So, do your best to write correctly, and keep the AOLisms to a minimum, and I don't think anyone will be too bothered.

KTHXBY!!!11!1oneoneone

Cal Weldon said:
While I am certainly on your side EC, I find there are more annoying things than those listed in your post. SY hinted at it. It's the misuse of words.

Any old woofer nowadays seems to be called a sub. I've seen 4" units called subs. I'm not as old or farty as some here but a sub has an Fs of 20Hz or below. That's the only qualification I've ever known.

A dynamic or other transducer capable of reproducing a reasonable level of subsonic frequencies.

Where did we begin to stray?

I mostly agree with you there, though my take on the etymology is not that the sub means subsonic, but simply sub(below) the woofer. So while in general your description would agree with mine, there are cases where even that is incorrect. An example would be a 3 way speaker with a 1" tweeter, 3" mid, and 10" woofer. I think calling it a "sub" in this case is wrong.

Perhaps I'll coin the term Subtweeter. It would be more fitting in many cases.

I discribe my speakers as 2 way, with subwoofers. Mains are 8" WTW configuration sitting on top of the cabinets which house the 15" subwoofers.

-Nick

DigitalJunkie said:

I'm 27,and still can't spayell worth a daymm.

Chatting online and TXT'ing have gotten the best of me..
Punctuation is non-existant (existent: had to look it up!) in most cases.. <- and that's another bad habit I've picked up,adding 9000 periods after everything.... ugh. :cannotbe:

Good God! My eyesight is going, too! :bawling:

I read the above and could only find a total of ten periods.

OK wiseguy, you did say 9000 periods after "everything," but there's only four showing.

Waddiyadoo wid the udder 8996 preiods????????

Hoarding them, are we?
No wonder some people don't use periods, they can't find any... 'cuz you had 'em all!

Or perhaps they got loose and are wandering, forever lost in the overgrown and intractable pathways leading from the Information Super Highway.

Whatever... It's time to call in the Black Helicopters !!!!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.