Spelling, capitalization, and grammar. - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2007, 05:38 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Maybe the text message-language from cell phones have sneaked its way into emails. It is handy to keep messages short when using 6 buttons on a cell phone, but when using a full keyboard it's no problems writing full words.
Old 31st July 2007, 05:45 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
I think I'm ranting against laziness. My spelling is reasonably good but I still have the spell checker enabled in Firefox (oddly, I've just discovered that Firefox is a word it doesn't know). With the spell checker enabled, there's no need for me to make spelling mistakes. I have a typing finger on each hand, so it's not a problem to use the "shift" key at the appropriate time. All that remains is for me to check that what I have typed makes sense. I've just edited this post for the third time...
This is an amusing thread. As spellcheckers and Word and other programs are freely available, I find it odd that most people can't spend those extra few moments to check what they've typed before posting. For longer posts I always do, but admit I am guilty of posts with numerous typos and other errors especially if I'm typing in the dark. I am far from perfect in this regard, but at least attempt to put in some effort to making it presentable, readable English.

The one thing that I really have trouble reading is posts or emails with excessive reduction of words to single letters or numbers, or have no punctuation or capitalisation. I almost never text or SMS on my phone, and when I do it's not abbreviated.
I also hate more than one smilie per post; adding 20 of them makes me wonder if your not really an 11 year old.
Quote:
Originally posted by gingertube
Right next to the "Land Rights for Gay Wales" poster.
Are all Welsh gay?
I think that should be whales, no? A friend on another forum once dared me to drive across Texas with 20 of those stickers on my car.
Old 31st July 2007, 06:02 AM   #113
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Some people love writing and treat it as a creative act not to be rushed. They like to edit, polish and generally improve their written work before releasing it for someone else to read. They tend to be repelled or offended by shoddy written work of others, possibly because they would never allow themselves to be like that.

Some other people don't particularly enjoy writing. They see it as a necassary evil and are glad when it's finished. Spelling is not important to them and neither is grammar, so long as the message gets through. They are not fussy about their written work and they regard those who are as pedantic. They cannot understand that others could find their writing offensive.

What both of these types have in common is the desire to communicate in an understandable way. It takes all sorts . . .
Old 31st July 2007, 06:10 AM   #114
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

All tihs imtarmue and pomuops clpoianimng aoubt snilelpg is jsut nensnsoe. The olny tnihg taht mtatres is
taht the fsrit and lsat letetr of ecah wrod is in the crorcet pcale. See? You ppoele are sootpid.

PS
I luv Rceahl Wsiez
Old 31st July 2007, 06:20 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote Robert Wilensky

"We've heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true".

Greetings fellow simians.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 31st July 2007, 11:40 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Arx, there may be a justification for the "Oxford [capital letter, please]" comma in the sentence you quote but there is only one "and" in EC8010's title, so there is no need for it. I wonder how many people would use it if it were called the "Tooting Polytechnic" comma.
Old 31st July 2007, 02:04 PM   #117
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Arx

Pork and beans, steak and potatoes, and bacon and eggs is a good example of the oxford comma reducing ambiguity.

In this example, the 'Oxford' comma makes sense as it defines the list i.e. "pork and beans" is one item on the list not two. In the thread title it is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally posted by barretter
I wonder how many people would use it if it were called the "Tooting Polytechnic" comma.
None!
Old 31st July 2007, 02:05 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by gingertube
Quote Robert Wilensky

"We've heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Years ago, they produced Welsh!
Old 31st July 2007, 02:11 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, personnally, I .........

Absolutely in place of YES.

Misuse of 'decimate'.

the use or misuse of off/of
e.g. I got off of the bus. (It's 'I got off the bus'.)

Use of 'like' and 'you know' in sentences.
Old 31st July 2007, 02:36 PM   #120
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
...the use or misuse of off/of
e.g. I got off of the bus. (It's 'I got off the bus'.)
Surely, "I debarked from the omnibus".

al/ I am the one in ten, a number on the list...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!