EMC Model 200 Tube Tester Any Info Pls - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Dr ZEE is offline Dr ZEE  United States
diyAudio Member

Question EMC Model 200 Tube Tester Any Info Pls

Hello all good ppl!
I've almost finished electronically restoring this old EMC 200 (transconductance) tube tester. Will work of enclosure woodwork later.
The problem I have here is that I am having hard time trying to locate any instructional material on this unit. I kind of can figure out some action on how to use it based on my previous experience but it is pretty hard guessing work and it would help a lot if I could find any material on this machine.
If anybody could give me a lead or a tip It would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe there's some spot on the internet that is hidden from searches or something? I almost gave up trying to find any material.
Thanks in advance
/respects
I am attaching a photo of the tester on my bench:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emc200tester.jpg (76.3 KB, 200 views)
Old 19th July 2007, 11:01 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bama doesn't have a manual for the 200, but has manuals for several other models. Perhaps there is something useful in them:

http://bama.sbc.edu/emc.htm
Old 19th July 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Couple notes here.
First of all SORRY for double post here. I though somthing went wrong when posting the thread. Had no idea about "under moderation" period.
also, I have found info about 205 model, which is similar unit but 'emission type'. It gives me some starting point ideas on how to use 200.
found here: http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Roe-Pruefer.htm
Old 19th July 2007, 11:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Kevin, thanks a ton for trying to help. Yeah, I had been at bama and got those too. Actually I have this mirror page: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/ , as I get "not found" all the time at http://bama.sbc.edu
Old 19th July 2007, 11:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The 211 & 213 at bama are from the 1960s. Your 200 is 1946. Probably not much help in those manuals.

Might try some of the vintage radio forums, or track down a copy from one of the online dealers.
Old 20th July 2007, 02:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ethermion
The 211 & 213 at bama are from the 1960s. Your 200 is 1946. Probably not much help in those manuals.

Might try some of the vintage radio forums, or track down a copy from one of the online dealers.
Yep. I went through those. 205 unit is as close as it gets I guess. I thoguht it would be somewhat easier to figure the unit out without manual, but not so. It's a puzzle

Try and see what's gonna happen is not a good idea in this situation. I'll keep trying to find something. I have not seen that manual anywhere for sale either. I may end up to completely reverse-engineering the unit ... hope not
Old 20th July 2007, 05:36 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Dr. Zee,
One thought that comes to mind is that all of the settings required to use the tester (at least for the types then available) should be in the roll chart.

If you can post a good picture of the entire chart showing a type listing we might be able to decipher how to set up the tester to actually test tubes. Worst case just type the entries from an entire row..

I have the manuals for my Hickok, but have hardly ever had to refer to them - the charts should be fairly intuitive once you are familiar with them. (Now the Hickok charts might have been better than the EMC charts, but I'll bet there is not that much difference.)
Old 20th July 2007, 11:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Kevin, thanks a bunch again.
I've made some extra photos. Am posting them in the following posts.
Any thought or an idea would be a help. As I kind of figured that it is not going to be a simple tast to simply "reverse engineer" this thing. It may not look like a big deal, but actually to try to catch the principle(s) behind this unit with no leads is pretty damn challenging, well, for me anyway.
I've done pretty much everything that looked like had to be done as bringing this unit to life. Replaced couple resistors, caps, cleand all the switched and pots in and out etc. I've powered it up. Got to the point of setting the L.V. level. All looks and smells good . But this is it. I have not tried yet to actually insert a tube, because I don't want to get in trouble before I get some idea about what I am doing.
My current guess is , that all the switches should be in "K" position. Then you start settings from there, but the order of actions and what I should and should not switch etc ... all bunch of unknowns for me.
OK, here we go with photos.
Old 20th July 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

here's left side (6L6 there as example)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emc200_setup_left.jpg (45.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 11:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

here's right side with 12ASX7
"S" infront of the tube type means that the "N/S" switch should be in "S" position for this type of tube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emc200_setup_right.jpg (59.0 KB, 129 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!