EMC Model 200 Tube Tester Any Info Pls - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2007, 03:50 AM   #21
Dr ZEE is offline Dr ZEE  United States
diyAudio Member

here's just a photo testing old EYE. Good thing that I can test these old tubes now, which I could not with my other tester
BIG fat THANK YOU TO Kevin, again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emc200_6e5.jpg (99.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 21st July 2007, 03:32 PM   #22
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Don't turn the unit off once you have started set up, just change settings as required for the tube you are going to test. You're being overly cautious - just don't set the switches with the tube to be tested in place. Insert the tube to be tested only once you have set all the switches and controls according to the chart. Allow tube to warm up.
(Turning unit on and off unnecessarily stresses the filaments in the 6H6 and will result in warm up drift in your readings as well.)

Press the button marked shorts to test for shorts.

The results you got for the 12AU7A sound just right, the value listed in the chart is the nominal value for a bogey tube, most new tubes will test far higher. You should not encounter a new tube that tests below this value - probable indication that it is used despite appearances, however if it is in the good range it is still usable.
Old 29th July 2007, 07:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys, just wanted to drop a note here.
The important thing is - I've got the operating instructions booklet. Finally found it at a ham radio enthusiat's garage somewhere in Florida. Ten bucks and a few day waiting - and it's here Actually I have now two versions of manual. They are actually the same, but one is for the model that is not equiped tube chart roll (according to the picture on the cover), so instead it has tube chart pages in the booklet and it is also somewhat diffetent from the roll and it has less tubes listed (mine also is missing one page from tube chart ther).
So the operational instructions is a three page thing. It describes how to use the tester well, but no details about the tester itself really and no circuit diagram .
Thanks again (Kevin!!! ) for helping out here.
I've scanned the manual and the tube chart and zipped .gif files.
I've set up the web page for this project and if needed - one can now download both the manual (operating instructions, that is) and the tube chart (also contains balast tubes chart page) as .zip files from that web-page (see the links there).
Here's url to the page: http://www.mzentertainment.com/studi...be_tester.html

/thanks again, and massive respects
Old 5th June 2010, 02:51 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I own a mint condition EMC model 200 complete with the owner's manual. If you haven't found one, I will be happy to scan it into a file and share it with you.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:38 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default EMC 200 tester

I have a early model EMC 200 that does not have the nine pin tube socket. The roll chart has nine pin tubes listed but the operating manual does not. If there is a schematic available on a nine pin model any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Tubeswapper
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:41 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi , guys, I know it's an old thread
The reason I wanted to add reply here is the last post about 9-pin socked.
I actually had no idea that there was an older "version" of 200 without 9-pin socked, but I also received an eMail from someone asking me about this situation and I had no idea what he was talking about.
Anyways,
if there was a such no-9pin earlier tester I wish to see a photo of it.
Question : does it have 9th selector switch "GC" ?.
I would guess that it should have it.
So..., if so, then if installing 9-pin socket you'd need to connect pins 1 through 8 parallel with 8-pin socket and the 9th pin would be connected together with Cap (or with common of the 9th "GC" selector switch).
Also while ago I've done some work on that tester and have some updates at my site page: MZE-Electroarts Entertainment - MZEntertainment.com: Dr. ZEE WORKSHOP EMC Mutual Conductance (transconductance) Tube Tester Model 200 : restoration, operating instruction and tube chart.
I've made up a "simplified" principle diagram of that tester, there you can see how the switches are wired. All links to diargam and photos there on the page.

/regards

Hide this!Advertise here!