• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

how to preserve copper plates?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can delay the oxidation process of copper plates by applying clear gloss laquer, chrome, nickel,silver... plating, powder coating and painting.

I have used copper plates on my DIY amps which were polished and laquered, chrome plated and silver plated. The polished and lacquered plates looks good with the black-ash hard wood panel.

As time goes by, tarnish can be seen on some areas of the plate after a few months. Humidity of the listening room can also hasten the tarnishing of the copper plate. Heat generated by the amps components is also a factor.

You can delay the oxidation process on the copper plates, but it cannot be prevented.

John

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I built a bunch of copper chassis 300B amplifiers around the turn of the decade, and the last time I saw one a couple of years ago the copper was still unoxidized. They were buffed and then subjected to a 3M clear powder coat which even with the baking takes weeks to fully harden, but once hard is extremely durable.

I got fed up and just gave my last one a silver hammerstone coat...

Attachments

• chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 247
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.