• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube amp transformer identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been a lurker on this site off and on for many years. Most of the discussion here is over my head but it is still interesting.

There may be a question or two you may be able to answer for me as no one else has been able to. A little background info. I bought a pair of monoblocks not working several years ago. Last year I sent them to be repaired so a year later I get one back not really working properly as it has a bad hum. I never received the other monoblock back just the transformers. The guy said they were bad but I want a second opinion. To be on the safe side I picked up another monoblock off of ebay and am going to have someone closer do the rerebuilds for me.

I was told that acro or peerless made the transformers but I see no makers mark. How do I find out who manufactured these transformers? After some research I read where the amp manufacturer sometimes took the transformer manufacturer name off so it was believed they alone manufactured the entire amplifier. If I end up needing another transformer I would like to know the brand and meodel # so I can find the parts instead of bidding for the complete monoblocks.

Transformer Pics

Any advice appreciated and thank you.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Seems very odd to me that all of the transformers in one monoblock would be bad.

I looked over some of the other pictures and the workmanship seemed ok, but some of the wiring practices whether original or the result of the rebuild seem questionable. In particular I am thinking of the points where the new electrolytics are grounded. (Right in the middle of ground buss where their charging currents might superimpose ripple on the ground buss.)

I would ask for the other chassis back and look around for another guy to do the repairs.

The transformers appear to have house part numbers on them so they could be Peerless or anything else. It is pretty unlikely that you would be able to get them anywhere else but in another monoblock of the same make and model. If Peerless and identified as such odd replacements will be very expensive.

Mike Lefevre Magnequest owns most of the old Peerless designs and the marque as well, he might possibly be able to help you identify these if they are indeed Peerless.

The filament transformer was supposedly ok but I thought the same thing. How could they all be bad. After the year long run around I got on the amps I decided to get other opinions. I found Vintage Amplifier Restoration in Mississippi since they are so close to me and seem very professional over the phone I'll give them a try.

It is really difficult to get what you want if you are not a DIY guy. The grounding does look strange and I will give them license to rewire and rebuild as needed.

I suppose I will hoard these monoblocks until I have two working pairs. The 0D3 tubes look too cool with their purple glow. I prefer a light show with my favorite music : )

Thank you so much for your time and honest opinion.
Iain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.