Getting a vintage amp to work - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 02:25 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

I've actually posted it on ebay and a very low price. I figure it will go to a good home that way. Someone has asked what ohms it operates at. I think it is 4 normally but with 8 and 16 line choices on the back. I hope you guys don't see this as me trying to get help profiting off of this amp. At $8 this amp is being sold as a project amp and It would be great if someone could tell me what they think the output ohms is. Thanks a lot.
Old 30th July 2007, 02:45 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Judging by the picture you posted it looks like it can drive 8 or 16 ohm speakers or 25V or 70V line.

If driving speakers directly you would use the two cnnectrs that represent the total load. e.g. 2 four ohm speakers in series would g across the 8 ohm connections while a single 16 ohm speaker would go acrss the 16 hm connections (not at the same time!!!) etc. The 25 and 70V lines are for systems where wach speaker is hooked to a line by a transformer that steps up/down frm the nominal line voltage. This was used so that a large number of speakers could be driven by a single amp.

Link to your auction???

mike
Old 30th July 2007, 02:48 AM   #63
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadSpeaker
I've actually posted it on ebay and a very low price. I figure it will go to a good home that way. Someone has asked what ohms it operates at. I think it is 4 normally but with 8 and 16 line choices on the back. I hope you guys don't see this as me trying to get help profiting off of this amp. At $8 this amp is being sold as a project amp and It would be great if someone could tell me what they think the output ohms is. Thanks a lot.
The output impedance is unknown, what is known are the load impedances the amplifier can drive. Any one of the ones listed on the speaker terminal barrier strip are valid. The amplifier practically speaking will drive any of the listed impedances about the same. There is no "normal" impedance, but at the time this amplifier was made 16 ohm and 8 ohm speaker systems were far more common than 4 ohm systems. Incidentally as I recall this amplifier also had 25V and 70V line outputs..

I think you have seriously under priced this amplifier as well. I figure a minimum of $20 - $30 would have been a fair starting point. Who knows you might still get close to what it is worth.
Old 30th July 2007, 03:16 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help. Yes I know it is under priced, but I'm hoping this will attract attention. The first question came in after 5 hours of posting it so it should do well.
Old 30th July 2007, 03:54 AM   #65
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Good luck!
Old 5th August 2007, 08:10 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Update!

The amp sold for around $50 US dollars. I even told them that I lifted the legs on the diodes! I guess they either are really experienced in fixing up amps or want to use the tubes or the transformers.
I'm just glad it is going to someone who knows what to do with it. I'm also glad that more money is going into my PA system fund.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:44 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ThSpeakerDude88
$50 is generally pretty good, considering buyers have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping, as tube amps are heavy!
Old 6th August 2007, 12:50 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Yeah shipping is crazy! It was like $17. If I were to get a PA power amp, it would run around 20-30. I might try a pawn shop.
Old 6th August 2007, 01:42 AM   #69
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi fellas,
Just try and get something into Canada if you think that shipping was expensive!

-Chris
Old 8th August 2007, 01:39 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ThSpeakerDude88
fisher 400 maybe ?

Hide this!Advertise here!