Switched DC/DCconverter for B+ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2007, 02:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Switched DC/DCconverter for B+

Found these DC/DC converters for B+:

www.revintage.se/RecomDCDC.pdf

Recom have modules for 12V to up to 350V that also can be stacked.

Just an idea to have only a 12V transformer to get 12,6V DC for the preamp heaters and from there via the converters to anodevoltage.

Anyone who have tried?
Old 17th July 2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, that's a good find. Never tried one, but can think of plenty of uses for one. Perhaps in a hybrid automotive amplifier
Old 17th July 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
r221b is offline r221b  United States
diyAudio Member

For a start, you can't use a 12.6 volt transformer. Transformers only utilize AC. To get the DC input required, you'll need a rectifier and filter circuit. Another consideration is that these switchers run at 200 kHz according to the spec. sheet. That could produce switching noise in whatever you want to use them in. Third, the output is only 50 ma. If you stack them, only the voltage adds, the output current remains at 50 ma. If you can overcome these limitations, there's no reason they won't work.

sherlock
Old 17th July 2007, 09:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by r221b
For a start, you can't use a 12.6 volt transformer. Transformers only utilize AC. To get the DC input required, you'll need a rectifier and filter circuit. Another consideration is that these switchers run at 200 kHz according to the spec. sheet. That could produce switching noise in whatever you want to use them in. Third, the output is only 50 ma. If you stack them, only the voltage adds, the output current remains at 50 ma. If you can overcome these limitations, there's no reason they won't work.

sherlock
I asked if someone had tried them!

All you say is obvious: Of course you have to have a transformer to rectify from AC to DC! How should you otherwise do?

As I said preamp, 50mA should not be a problem.

And I wanted to know if someone had tested this IRL as swithcing noise probably is the issue that could be a problem.

So back to the question I wanted answer for: Have you or someone else tried them or any similar device.

Just found a test in Stereophile where Nagra uses this solution in their tube preamp so it must work! Will take a deeper look!
Old 18th July 2007, 01:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just trying to help.... I haven't a clue as to your technical knowledge or lack thereof. From what I've seen on this forum, there are people that know virtually nothing about electronics all the way up to electrical engineers. What's "obvious" to you probably isn't to a lot of others. Since I took the time to reply, a simple "thanks" might have been in order. I hope you get your answers.

sherlock
Old 18th July 2007, 01:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sherlock: Thank you for taking you time to answer. Sorry, did not mean to insult you .
When I did not find the answers at Google, I asked here. Thought the knowledge level was higher. If you are still wondering about my level pls check my site www.revintage.se.
Old 18th July 2007, 03:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sherlock: Thank you for taking you time to answer. Sorry, did not mean to insult you .
Lars,

Apology accepted with no hard feelings. If you actually give these converters a try in your project, let us know how they work (or don't).

sherlock
Old 20th July 2007, 02:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I looked up these converters since they would fit right in to an upcomming project (a battery powered tube guitar preamp). Unfortunately there is only one supplier in the US, and they only stock a few parts. No HV stuff, only 5 and 12 volt parts.

I have been experimenting with SMPS's and DC to DC converters for vacuum tube uses. The 200 KHz switching frequency is not a problem. The 30 to 50KHz converters can be a problem. As I am trying to mount the preamp inside the guitar, I have found that some designs can play havoc with a guitar pickup even at a distance of over 1 foot. Toroidal inductors are your friend. Unshielded ferrite bobbins are not.
Old 20th July 2007, 10:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
I looked up these converters since they would fit right in to an upcomming project (a battery powered tube guitar preamp). Unfortunately there is only one supplier in the US, and they only stock a few parts. No HV stuff, only 5 and 12 volt parts.

Hi Guitar-buddy,

Can send you one when I get the R12-150As I will order. If you want a smaller one I can include it in the same order.

(About guitar-buddies: Check my bandsite: www.myspace.com/eflatjumptessandersson and also see a glimpse of my "reVintage Pro" guitar amp in between Tess and me)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4201.jpg (96.0 KB, 224 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

What's the price range for those?

Hide this!Advertise here!