What glue to use for tube glass bulb + base - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2007, 09:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What glue to use for tube glass bulb + base

Recently I found a large bunch of octal (6SN7/6SL7 probably) bare glass tube bulbs with long wires without base sockets, new old stock, in a box (!). The tubes/bulbs seems to be experimental or manufactured for testing purposes or just excess quantities of some dumb Russian plant... However, my idea is to glue the bulbs to some octal bases from wasted tubes and to put them in use.

I would like to glue the bulbs with a kind of glue which look and feel like the original thick brownish glue compound from that days. I don't want to use instant glue or other 'modern' looking solution. Moreover the instant glue is not user friendly and any small mistake will ruin the overall tube look.

Does anybody have any idea what glue to use which can be found on the market and looks similar to the original one? It should be temperature resistant I suppose, but it is not mandatory in this case.

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 12th July 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There was a recent thread on this with some good recommendations. Do a quick search, I bet you'll find it.
Old 12th July 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot!

I have searched, but couldn't find something relevant...
Old 12th July 2007, 01:19 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

problems with 805 tubes

C#@$ quality 6L6EH's

Those should get you started.
Old 12th July 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I would try silicone sealant.
Old 12th July 2007, 05:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Brown silicone? Good idea. Slow drying, high dempfing factor. Will it become plastic/liquid when hot and at what degree Celsius, any clue?
Old 12th July 2007, 06:08 PM   #7
5u4 is offline 5u4  United States
diyAudio Member

I've used Permatex #1 sealant from the local auto supply store with good results. Rated at 400 degrees F & is a hardening brown paste similar to what some of the tube manufacturers use.
Old 12th July 2007, 06:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Original manufacturer's base and cap cement is a proprietary non-expanding mixture affectionately called "glit". (glue + sh*t)

I have successfully been using Weldwood Plastic Resin by DAP. This is a pre-catalyzed urea formaldehyde wood working glue in powdered form. It's available locally here is the U.S. and on line. (google it) Normally mixed with water it has a pot time of several hours before setting up, and a 24 hour full cure time. But this can be shortened.

To use it for tubes, start with a small amount of powder and slowly mix in denatured alcohol (to speed curing time) until you have a medium thick tan paste. Thoroughly clean the surfaces, apply the paste and position the base or cap. Rubber bands are helpfull to hold them in place. To further speed thing up, I use a small heat gun or hairdryer to drive out the alcohol. But I think a slow cure makes for a better bond, although I've never tested that.

It's important to not move things once they begin to set up. Leave them rest overnight to fully cure. Hope this helps .

Victor
Old 12th July 2007, 08:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I use silicone paste without vinegar smell.
Old 31st July 2007, 11:46 AM   #10
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

That would be perfect. I glued large mirror panels to a wooden door, and the glassman recommended water-based silicone sealant. He said the other type (smelling vinegar) is not suitable for glass.

Hide this!Advertise here!