• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quick Ecl86/6gw8 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I recently got adquired a Hammond AO-44.
Here is the schematic for the amp -->
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I added a 1/4 jack in it and got some 15w speaker and it sounds nice, but when i turn up the volume it has a LOT of BASS.
I am using a single 4ohm speaker for now, i am going to get another one and connect it in series to see if it still sounds so bassy with the 8ohm load.

I want to mod this amp into something that will have a nice distortion and i have a spare ECC82.

Q: what would happend if i use the ECC83 inside the ECL86's for the preamp and use an additional ECC82 for the phase inverter?
Is this possible or i would HAVE TO use the triode section of the 6GW8 as the phase inverter?

I dont want to completly tare the amp out, just change some values araund so i can make it sound better. i am fairly new with tubes and i been fishing araund for schematics....

Can you guys please give me some sugestions?

i would apreciate it very much.

Thanks!.
i am still curious on using the triode sections of the ECL86's as the gain stage for the amp and using an ECC82 for the phase inverter.
Supposing is possible to do that,
What set up will create more distortion?
1)
INPUT-->GAIN STAGE (ECC83)-->PHASE SPLITER (ECC82)-->PP-->Output
or
2)INPUT-->GAIN STAGE (ECC82)-->PHASE SPLITER (ECC83)-->PP-->Output

I found this Marshall schematic online and its pretty easy to follow thru.... :) :) :) :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Questions arrised as i looked at this amp tho.
1) Is the ECC83 here used for tremolo only?
2) no feedback is used on this amp ? :confused:

WILL APRECIATE YOUR HELP VERY MUCH,
THANKS!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.