• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Alternatives to the Dynaco ST-70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes I did compare the Mullard sheets for both. I just linked that page for ease.

Mullard EL34 Datasheet
Mullard EL84 Datasheet

and I don't know if I am missing something but any way I look at it - PP,SE,UL, Pentode, Triode, it seems that EL34 has less total distortion than EL84. Or atleast more power for a given amount of distortion (in other words less distortion for the same amount of power).

about Zout - yes I did interpret that as R(a-a) and what I was trying to say is that lower R(a-a) could possibly relax the output transformer design requirement(?)

Yes, the EL34 is a bigger tube, higher power. But at full swing, the linearity is no better than the EL84 and of course there's requirements for more drive voltage, more heater current, and higher B+ to achieve that power. A pair of EL84 in parallel will give a similar power output and distortion as a single pair of EL34, but need half the drive voltage- this means that the driver stage will show about 6dB less distortion. Trade-offs, trade-offs- that's why Mullard made both.

Has there been a a St-70 type amp built but single ended and cathode biased? I've been really thinking that would be very versatile.

Also thinking of just a 6BM8, with the 2'nd triode as a cathode follower direct coupled into the grid of the output tube. 30 watts should be enough for most people. Man, I could even play next to a drummer with it!

kind of hyped about this...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.