• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Just sharing my 26 experience last night...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 26 is a sweet sounding tube but I could never get the hum out of it. I tried batterys and that didn't work and to be honest there ought to be a way to have it almost silent hum wise without going to an elaborate battery and charging system.
Didn't manufactures have 26's in the preamp sections of many of the old radio circuits?

I've seen Kevin Kennedy's schematic of a 26 showing the UTC HA-133 transformers but haven't been able to source any of them at a reasonable price.

Is there a substitute transformer that is more cost effective that will also work?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
burnedfingers said:
The 26 is a sweet sounding tube but I could never get the hum out of it. I tried batterys and that didn't work and to be honest there ought to be a way to have it almost silent hum wise without going to an elaborate battery and charging system.
Didn't manufactures have 26's in the preamp sections of many of the old radio circuits?

I've seen Kevin Kennedy's schematic of a 26 showing the UTC HA-133 transformers but haven't been able to source any of them at a reasonable price.

Is there a substitute transformer that is more cost effective that will also work?

Check with Jack over at Electra-Print, he made me some custom transformers for my headphone amplifier project and I was quite pleasantly surprised by both the quality (performance) and the cost.

Unfortunately for looks 26's benefit greatly from electrostatic shielding.. External fields are often a problem with this tube. I got a 10dB improvement in hum by making a simple set of grounded copper foil shields. Aluminum foil works well in a pinch..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.