Yamamoto teflon sockets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2007, 06:11 AM   #1
dejanm is offline dejanm  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default Yamamoto teflon sockets

Hi,

I have seen Yamamoto gold plated teflon sockets selling quite expencive. Are they worth the money ? Does somebody have experience with these sockets ? Do they really improve the reproduction of sound, so that they are worth paying 20 times more than usual ceramic sockets ?

Regards
Dejan
Old 10th July 2007, 12:07 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

No, yes, and no. They are very pretty but a bit of leakage isn't going to matter in a power valve.
Old 10th July 2007, 02:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
No, yes, and no. They are very pretty but a bit of leakage isn't going to matter in a power valve.
and for driving tubes ?
Old 10th July 2007, 03:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Unless you are amplifying kilovolts or microwaves then leakage is nothing to worry about. I would consider buying some of his sockets for rare tubes that are no longer made, like the 316A.
Old 10th July 2007, 03:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

so, guys, if I understand you correctly, the answer is: no ?

I must say that the price for these sockets is so high (I can buy them in Germany on Internet for about $43 a piece) that it hurts ... So they have to do MOJO Magic in order to pay themselves back ...
Old 10th July 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Leakage can be important for an input valve operating at high impedance, such as the input valve of a valve microphone. Elsewhere, ceramic is just fine, and much better than phenolic.

The real justification for buying Yamamoto (as astouffer says) is when nothing else is available.
Old 10th July 2007, 03:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok. thanks guys ... I appreciate it very much ...
Old 10th July 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

These are superbly made sockets with excellent contact integrity and a strong aesthetic appeal. I used both the UX-4 and octal versions in the audio chassis of a custom 300B stereo amplifier I used to make. Given the price point they were appropriate, as to whether or not they contributed anything tangible to the sound I'd say that was doubtful.

I have never used them in anything I have built for my own use as they are just too expensive and I would rather spend the money where it might make an audible difference to my design. I use modern and surplus ceramic and micanol (filled plastic) type sockets in my own stuff and have never had an issue.

The most important thing is contact design, look for something that grips the pins tightly and has a reasonable amount of contact area.
Good vintage sockets will generally provide a reference for what represents good design, and you can look for similar in modern sockets.
Old 10th July 2007, 05:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Yamamoto teflon sockets

Quote:
Originally posted by dejanm

Are they worth the money ?
Sadly, i have no direct experience. What i do know is that input sockets and binding posts costing 20 times more than the cheap stuff are often worth the asking price. So, why would tube sockets be any less important?
Old 10th July 2007, 06:14 PM   #10
pred is offline pred  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dejanm
so, guys, if I understand you correctly, the answer is: no ?

I must say that the price for these sockets is so high (I can buy them in Germany on Internet for about $43 a piece) that it hurts ... So they have to do MOJO Magic in order to pay themselves back ...
You have teflon sockets that look similair at diyhifisupply.com at half the price, and if you order for more than 100$ you will get them without shipping cost. I am no in association with them just happend that I already ordered. No not teflon cermaic ones.

Pred

Hide this!Advertise here!