Shall we compile a list? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2007, 08:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shall we compile a list

I was thinking that it would be nice if a tube newbie had a comprehensive list of useful tubes that one could use when dumpster diving and skulking about the yard sales in search of bargins. There is a lot of information out there but I have yet to find a nice printable skulker's guide. I envision a list with one line per device listing
[list=1][*]American Designation[*]European Designation[*]Russian Designation[*]Type[*]Original Purpose[*]Possible Uses[*]Strengths[*]Contraindications[/list=1]

If anyone knows of such a list I would be interested. Otherwise I propose that I make an email address available for a period of time to which people can send their suggested entries which I would compile into a list for peer review. My intent would be to post here and a couple of other boards with heavy concentrations of knowlegable tubeophiles.

What do you think of my proposal?

mike
Old 8th July 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think this would be a useful idea, and would suggest people post them here, and you could edit/collate them into a useful list.

Even better would be to take the list and put together something like "Promising tubes for Audio Apps" or whatever..

My little list would include:

6SN7/6N8C Description highly linear, medium mu, low rp, dual triode, octal base often used as a driver

6SL7/6N9C Description highly linear, high mu, medium rp, dual triode, octal base suitable for input stages, phono pre-amps.

Etc.

Many types not commonly considered for audio probably ought to make the list. Obviously all commonly used tubes, and any exotic types should be included. As a tube newbie about 20yrs ago I passed up on something like 15 NIB!!! WE300B 1950's date codes for a set of 16 6AS7GA also from the 1950's. The cost for those 300B - $3.00 each.. Had I known what I know now I would have snapped them up.. I never used the 6AS7GA, (I was thinking OTL amp) and today I have two sets of amps that use 300Bs... This is an experience nobody wants to have..

If you are looking for additional recommendations I would be happy to make a few, I just didn't want to clutter up your thread with recommendations if putting them here is not something you wanted to do.
Old 8th July 2007, 08:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. My intent is to put the list in a spreadsheet for easy sorting and maintenance. I have an email already setup and if interest seems to be high I will post it in disguised form. The email would have the advantage of not using up server storage here. I could post periodic updates for comment.

The list would be compiled and maintained in an as time allows fashion.

mike
Old 8th July 2007, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

BTW keep in mind applications where linearity is not necessarily the prime factor (e.g. guitar amps, effects, CCS etc).

mike
Old 8th July 2007, 09:15 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd certainly go ahead and post the disguised email address, I think the usefulness of this idea is a no brainer, and I would be delighted to send along a list. Being the week-end and all it might take a couple of days for this thread to catch on.

I would find such a list in phamplet form to be quite useful, something hopefully that could fit in a pocket.
Old 8th July 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used to deal in used cameras, and the same thing is an issue there. There are cameras where two different models may only vary by a single letter (and look almost the same) yet one is worth a fortune and one isn't - and you usually find the one that isn't valuable.

It seems like a good idea, but I think the list would simply be too long. I recently was given a bunch of tubes, and there must be 50 types I had never heard of, but that turn out to be useful - 5879, 5963, 6201, 6ak5, ... etc.

Moreover, there are some really misleading things in there too -- Amperex, Made in West Germany, 6dj8's that turn out to be Tungsram -- not terrible, but not as exciting as they seemed.

You could certainly make a list that says 6sn7, 6sl7, 300b, 6dj8, but beyond that, it is either going to get really long and become a book full of minutia, or it is only going to be useful in really rare cases. I don't think there is a substitute for experience here.
Old 8th July 2007, 11:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

mikes tube list (no spaces) at maplenet little period thingy net.

mike
Old 9th July 2007, 11:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just my kind of topic. - If I can suggest that this 'uber list' might give some indication of what the particular tube was useful for,
for instance you might want a pre-amp tube > look "here" or a power tube > look "here"

For sure it's a long list, but useful,

my 2cents are:

5703WA - sub mini thing AKA the trivistor
5977 - sub-mini triode
6397 - pentode but linear as a triode
EC91 - lots and LOTS of gain
6AT6 - 7 pin triode with 2 diodes
EL37 - £$€

Fact is that some tubes just aren't a lot of use. (what possesed me when I was buying the 1AD4 for instance )

KevinKR I sympathise I also passed up valuable tubes, NOS Mulard E88CC, for free, I could cry

Andy
Old 9th July 2007, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Though one could sort according to uses sorting by designation seems the most helpful for my initial intent since when you are looking at a chassis or box of tubes it is the designation that you have right there on the tube.

mike
Old 9th July 2007, 11:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'll add some DIY favorites of mine

small signal tubes:

EF86/6267 - classic small Euro pentode
PF86 - 4.5V filament version of the EF86
6J32P - Russian version of the EF86
EF40 - B8A base - EF86 equivalent
E80F - another audio pentode, not to be confused with the EF80

C3m - german post tube - pentode
C3o - ""