• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I need 12v DC- whats the best option?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,
I need 12v DC to run an LED. Is there any straightforward way to do this. I am using a Dynaco PA060 transformer which has secondary windings of 5v, 6.3v and 720v! Can I use these somehow with a bridge rectifier or would I be better off adding a small seperate 240 - 12 v transformer with a rectifier circuit? I am a little concerned that adding another transformer might contribute to noise?
Cheers,
Rob

ray_moth said:
I once built a successful 555 delay circuit that used a 12v relay. I got the 12v it needed using a voltage doubler off the 6.3v heater winding. I used 2200uF caps in the doubler.

The voltage you get out of a doubler is a function of the storage capacity -- if you are just driving a string of LED's and need about 10mA -- the value of the caps can be much lower. About 100uF will work -- and these can be rated at 25V so they will be pretty small -- 2200uF is too "stiff" for a low current application and the output voltage will be closer to 15V. If you were driving a preamp chip the ripple with 100uF would be inadequate due to the ripple.

Attachments

• doubler.gif
    doubler.gif
    4 KB · Views: 269
12v

Hey thanks guys - I need it for a single LED in an illuminated switch which is a sealed unit and rated at 12v - it must have a resistor built in. The voltage doubler looks like a g great option. I presume 0.5w resistors will be OK. Thanks for the advice - great idea.
Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.