• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Graphic 1/3 Octave Tube Equaliser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to convert an old ADC soundshaper into a tube equalizer. I figure on using 6n1p's.
One side for high pass and for low pass. That would mean i would need 62 for a stereo equalizer. Using 400watts of heater power. Double that for fourth order.

1) Bad idea?
2) If 1 is no then what order/type of filter should i use?
3) Should i do parametric?

P.S. Biamped, electrostats, not flat response at all. Really needs work.

thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably even more than the 62 you cited.

Where tuning flexibility is needed I would use them in active gyrator based filters, otherwise I would use passive rlc filters to set the center frequency of most of your bandpass filters.

Generally these are second order series resonant filters. (Notch filter) Usually there is a pot across the inverting and non inverting inputs of an op-amp (slightly over simplified) to cut the filter appears somewhere between the center of the pot and the end connected to the non inverting input, the reverse would be true for boost. Right at the center of the pot if everything is properly balanced there is no audio present and the resonant circuit is effectively out of the circuit. Some equalizers have pots with taps on the center which are grounded to assure this is absolutely the case.

Look for some examples of transistorized gyrator circuits, conversion to tube is relatively simple.

The op-amp could be all tube of course.

There were tube based graphic equalizers in the past, I had schematics for a commercial half octave design at one point, long lost now. Not too practical in my estimation.

A couple of channels of parametric equalization might be more effective if you have some sense of what you are dealing with.

Better to measure the system response in the room and design a combination of passive and active filters to correct any response anomalies you can't live with.

http://www.4qdtec.com/graph.html for a transistor gyrator circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.