Aikido Tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2007, 02:40 AM   #1
2KW is offline 2KW  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Aikido Tubes

I've just received my Aikido PCB and now wonder as to the best Tubes ( so many options ) to use for HiFi. Looking for clarity, good sound stage. What have others used with this topology, and what sounds best. Opinoins please.

Thanks.
Old 4th July 2007, 03:38 AM   #2
aerius is offline aerius  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess the first question is which version of the PCB you ordered. As I recall there's one for 9-pin tubes and another one for octals.
Old 4th July 2007, 03:39 AM   #3
2KW is offline 2KW  Australia
diyAudio Member

ok, sorry, it's the 9 pin version.
Old 4th July 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the octal version and haven't yet tried the 9 pin version yet. If I were to choose a tube combo I would use a 6FQ7 as the input tube and a 5687 as the output tube.

I used this combo in the Bas board I bought from the forum and it is to die for.
Old 4th July 2007, 01:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the choice of the tubes depends mostly on your needs.

The overall gain is half the mu of the input tube, while the driving ability is mainly due to the output tube.

With modern sources (CD) I'd choose the lowest mu double triode available, in my system E88CC was too much when using the Aikido as normal preamp, so 6CG7/6FQ7, 6GU7, 12AU7 (but also 6N1p, E88CC and similar if you don't mind having more gain) are nice tubes.

For output tube ECC88 (bearing in ming its max plate dissipation), 5687, e182CC, 6N6p, 6N30p are possible (but not the only) choices.

Please note that not all share the same pinout and heater voltage.

Cheers

Andrea
Old 4th July 2007, 09:41 PM   #6
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

All good suggestions. Pay attention to what Andrea said - not all share the same pinout and heater voltage I believe the newer revision allows mixing 6.3 and 12.6 heater supply but I am not sure it allows you to mix diff pinouts such as 5786 and 6CF7, for example, within the same board.
Old 4th July 2007, 10:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

6cg7 followed by 5687 is the best combo I've tired. Really nice.
Old 5th July 2007, 07:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The 5687 can't be used in the standard 9 pin board. Mr. Broskie sells a board designed for the 5687:

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/56steraikpcb.html
Old 5th July 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

True! I built mine P to P.
Old 5th July 2007, 11:08 PM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I am really tempted by the new partial kits from Broskie, still miss a certain tubepre I once had

But I am really in doubt whether I should choose the "all 6cg7" ... I reckon I may need to change them once a year, so they must not be too expencive or hard to find

Does anyone have any experience with his bargain "stepped attenuator" - why should one use the 100kohm with 2db step and not the more attractive 20khz with 1db steps

Any ideas about which would be best with small solidstate poweramps

Hide this!Advertise here!