• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Linestage Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my going to be my setup:

Phono ---> Preamp ---> Switch ---> Equalization ---> Active Crossover ---> High Amp
Radio ---> Switch --------------------> ---> Mid/Low Amp
CD ---> Switch ---> DAC ------------>
Cable ---> Switch ---> DAC --------->
Computer ---> Switch ---> DAC --->
DVD ---> Switch ---> DAC ----------->

Should the linestage go between the eq and cross? Or should two go between the cross and the amps?

My crossover is analogue. So between DAC and equalizer or equalizer and crossover? Should i just try it both ways?

Any suggestions for a linestage? All together it will be driving four 100th's. My plans are to make either the linestage or a tube equalizer a showpiece with lots of copper and glassware :D

thanks

After your crossover, you'll have twice as many channels to deal with, so there's that, but OTOH each channel will have a lesser signal to handle so as early as practical sounds good.

If it were me in those shoes, I would try to put the lower distortion conponents first. In practice I would guess that many would end up with the crossovers just before the power amps. For my systems, I try to incorporate the crossover roll-offs into my other stages somehow.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
ak_47_boy said:
My crossover is analogue. So between DAC and equalizer or equalizer and crossover? Should i just try it both ways?

Any suggestions for a linestage? All together it will be driving four 100th's. My plans are to make either the linestage or a tube equalizer a showpiece with lots of copper and glassware :D

I'm afraid I've never really done "showpiece," more "engineering chic." With an analogue crossover, I'd put the volume control/line stage before it. Putting the volume control after the crossover demands excellent tracking from at least 4 volume controls, maybe 6. That implies stepped attenuators and is only worthwhile if it allows digits to work properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.