• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st Time project - Report 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Not sure how much interest exists out there but as mentioned earlier on I am embarking upon my first valve amplifier. I have decided upon a slightly modified version of the Dynaco ST-70. Earlier, I indicated that I would file a progress report so that anyone who was interested could follow my progress. I have found it enormously challenging understanding the concepts and sourcing parts, and I hope that by posting my progress someone following may find the task a little easier. I should mention that most of my initial research was via the internet and by far the most useful information was from this site. I have included references to the suppliers so my trail can be followed. Also, I would be grateful for any mistakes to be pointed out to me before electrocution/fir/explosion/discontinuity of space time continuum!

Anyhow, so far my progress is as follows –

1. I have built a purpose workspace (see attached photo), including multiple power outlets, good light (there are 4 different lights and the overall effect is very bright although this is not really demonstrated in the photo) and an isolation trip switch covering all power outlets (I understand that this does not fully protect against shock!!)

2. Have purchased Morgan Jones’s books on valve amplifiers – building valve amps and valve amps (amazon.com)

3. I have procured some equipment including a decent heat controlled soldering iron, a Phillips multimeter/oscilloscope and a fluke multimeter. I have also included a fire blanket and extinguisher.

4. I have bought some basic essentials, good solder with 2% silver and a melting point of 290 degrees.

5. I have sourced all of the caps and resistors (from Jaycar in person and Farnell on-line)

6. I have just received the output and power transformers from Triode electronics (online) – they provided a great service BTW.

7. I am in the process of ordering 18 AWG solid cloth covered wire in 6 colours from Radio Daze and these guys seem really helpful as well (online)

8. I have designed the layout, made a cardboard mock-up and taken this to a local sheet metal worker – after invaluable advice from the forum I decided upon aluminium 3mm on top and 2mm everywhere else.

Anyhow, enough for now. I will post again when I have made some more progress.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• workspace.jpg
    workspace.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 716
wow - fire equipment - you are either over-prepared or under confident!!! Good luck with this first go. I have been a lot more conservative in my first attempt. I bought around seven old console stereos, stripped them out and retained the trannies, valves, speakers and very little else, then used a random SE 12AX7 / EL84 design to build four little amps for the kids. I figure the indentical layout gives me an opportunity to side by side compare tweaks, it cost me around $5.00 NZ for each of the donors, I get to try out some different speaker enclosures as a side project and the kids get amps that don't go "booom booom booom" in the room next to me. HEehehehehehehe. Oh, a cheapo DMM, a $12.00 soldering iron, $15 of sheetmetal and $15 of perspex rounds out the investment... Looking forward to your next post as you get into the build - your amp is likely to look a little more professional than my effort!

Well I was preparing with a quote from Morgan Jones's book in mind - 'when I first power up an amp, I expect it to explode, catch fire or both'! Besides, my wife would never forgive me if I burnt the house down.
I will keep you posted and thanks for the comments.
Rob

Rob,

Nice workshop.
I like the Lancaster picture. The Lancaster has some very good audio valves (PT15s in the T1154 transmitter) onboard.
I build both SE and PP amps using PT15s. I've attached a picture of one of the PP PT15 mono blocks I've build.

Corne

Attachments

• pt15_amp1.jpg
    pt15_amp1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 466
Every journey starts with a small step

Hi There
i succumed to the fever about one year ago.. my workspace appears as if a bunch of drunk sight impaired interior decorators arranged it, so I am envious of your work space. You are no doubt fastidious and methodical; as for the blanket and extinguisher, good call. Better to have them and not need them I say. (i am the kind of person that wore his seat belt whilst watching a movie at the drive in).
You may well need some rosary beads depending on your religious leanings to help you in times of Tube conflict. Valium may also help... lithium is better if the problem cant be fixed by the 7th attempt. I think Farnell may even sell it!!
There is one thing i can tell you that makes it all worthwhile.. when you marvel at the sound of a tube amp(s) and how people who know little of them comment on how good the music sounds. To know your amp began life from planks of wood and sheets of aluminium to the glowing beauty that sits before you is a pleasure that is highly rewarding to say the least.
May all your projects fire up (pardon the ominous pun) first time and good luck.
The road i chose is very steep but boy i like the view
Regards
Nick.
ps. This forum is full of great and helpful people.. without diy audio...who knows where i would be.

jduffy said:
Rich, I like the tilt of the chassis when you're working on it. Are you using an easel?

Yup...no other way with the big game.....50kg iron and plenty of glass plus a stiffened bench (no use kitchen table). The pale green flat bit of the "jenny" screws on to the back plate of the amp with pair M6 Allen machine screws on each end and then one can tilt up. These screws are high tensile. When all is done simply bring down to the normal position then simply unscrew.
A botch-up gizmo for anyone with welding ability can save alot of trouble.

richj

Attachments

• amp easel.jpg
    amp easel.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 375
Looking somewhat from edge of bench, on this "jenny" version for smaller amps I use a single screw instead of two each end bracket. I can also swivel the angle but don't recommened this. The important thing to remember when using this type of jenny/easel, is to allow enough room around the o/p terminal posts.

richj

Attachments

• easel closeup.jpg
    easel closeup.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 291
Thanks for the workshop comments - it is a work in progress. The lancaster picture is not allowed to hang in the house but it is my fathers picture and he used to fly on them so it has some meaning to me, especially as I used to hold the soldering iron for him when he made valve amplifiers. I fly on rescue helicopters and this may explain some of my cautious nature - I generally have to be prepared for things to go wrong. I will look forward to posting some progress shots, the feedback is great and I am sure that I will need more advice as the project moves on.
Cheers,
Rob

Workspace.

Nice workbench Rob!!..I really think you might run out of 'counterspace'...be prepared for that eventuality, I completely disagree with Morgans quip about exploding things and all...If we all do it right the first time, double & triple check...kinda like preflight...don't assume. Mostly it is stupid errors, but then again I wouldn't peer inside my creation when the power is first applied!
Be optimistic...
__________________________________Rick............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.