Transcendar Budget SE Transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2007, 02:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transcendar Budget SE Transformers

In addition to the usual 5k and 3k single ended transformers, Transcendar is now offering a 3k "budget series" SE transformer rated for 100 mA, with no UL primary tap and only 8 ohms at the output. I bought a pair on a lark, but haven't figured out a suitable project for them just yet. Has anyone else tried these? Impressions?
Old 30th June 2007, 03:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Where did you purchase them and how much are these transformers? Is there a website we can take a look at?

Thanks,
Sal Brisindi
Old 30th June 2007, 04:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I got mine on Ebay - the seller is ggaet, and the "buy it now" price is $90/pair. It appears he now has both 3k and 5k versions of this transformer available.
Old 30th June 2007, 06:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey!

I don't mean to speak for George, but Tubelab.com has a great review of these Transformers, and I know George loves them (read this page)

http://tubelab.com/BudgetOPT.htm

His data made me decide on to invest in a pair of these

-Moose
Old 30th June 2007, 07:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

George tested the "non-budget Transcedars" (about 15-20 bux a unit more expensive than the budgets, but still a bargain). The ones I'm referring to are more recent arrivals on the scene (after the tests), with only an 8 ohm ouput winding and no taps. I have both the 5k and 3k flavors of the more expensive Transcendars - the budgets are distinctly different. If I remember to dig through the boxes, I'll post the part numbers so there's no ambiguity. All told now, there are 4 types of SE transfomer sold by Transcendar - the larger 3K and 5K units (first on the scene, and the ones referred to in George's and other posts), and the newer and smaller budget models, first available on Ebay in 3k impedance, now in both flavors. They are cettainly prettier than most SE transformers available in the price range, most notably the Hammond 125 series, and the paper specs are also better.
Old 30th June 2007, 02:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was told that by Gery (the seller) that the "300B SE output transformers" that I bought were leftovers from a customers production run. There were a fixed number of them left so I bought a bunch. The "non budget" SE transformers that he sells now are an "improved design". I have not tested them, or the budget versions.
Old 30th June 2007, 09:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So, six flavors in all, two tested and now obsolete, leaving 4 new unknown flavors. The larger transformers I have are from the old stock.
Old 30th June 2007, 10:30 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've used the older, now obsolete Transcendars, and based on that experience have no reason to suspect that the "improved" replacements are anything but. The originals were great, delivering far better performance in my 2A3 amplifier than I would have expected at several multiples of the average selling price - so I believe that based on this experience the new versions are likely to be just fine or even great. And you sure can't beat them for the price.

Eventually I will build another amplifier, perhaps a headphone amp for work (the one I just built got, err, a little too expensive and complicated for that purpose) using the 5K budget model. I'll report back when I do, it won't be too long.
Old 1st July 2007, 09:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

After some thought, I'm considering pairing the budget 3K transformers with some "super" 6BG6s or 6L6GCs in triode mode. Back-of-the- envelope figuring looks good. It'll be a while before I try this, though, as I'm really backed up with vacuum state and sand state projects that need finishng.
Old 25th March 2008, 03:14 AM   #10
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

We need to revive this thread somewhat. Here is another entry into the market. It is a Chinese transformer, sold on E-Bay, and goes under the very western name of Eastern Audio, pardon the pun.

It's a 10K single ended output trans, and aparently this fellow has access what anyone may wish. Has anyone tried out his product? Oh, and will it handle more power being a 10K?

And here's another thing. There is another fellow, who is selling used Telefunken output Transformers for SE Tube Amps. He aparently has a few available, but are definately smaller. However, the price appears to be pretty good.

Does anyone have any comments on this? George?

Hide this!Advertise here!