• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transcendar Budget SE Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In addition to the usual 5k and 3k single ended transformers, Transcendar is now offering a 3k "budget series" SE transformer rated for 100 mA, with no UL primary tap and only 8 ohms at the output. I bought a pair on a lark, but haven't figured out a suitable project for them just yet. Has anyone else tried these? Impressions?

George tested the "non-budget Transcedars" (about 15-20 bux a unit more expensive than the budgets, but still a bargain). The ones I'm referring to are more recent arrivals on the scene (after the tests), with only an 8 ohm ouput winding and no taps. I have both the 5k and 3k flavors of the more expensive Transcendars - the budgets are distinctly different. If I remember to dig through the boxes, I'll post the part numbers so there's no ambiguity. All told now, there are 4 types of SE transfomer sold by Transcendar - the larger 3K and 5K units (first on the scene, and the ones referred to in George's and other posts), and the newer and smaller budget models, first available on Ebay in 3k impedance, now in both flavors. They are cettainly prettier than most SE transformers available in the price range, most notably the Hammond 125 series, and the paper specs are also better.

I was told that by Gery (the seller) that the "300B SE output transformers" that I bought were leftovers from a customers production run. There were a fixed number of them left so I bought a bunch. The "non budget" SE transformers that he sells now are an "improved design". I have not tested them, or the budget versions.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used the older, now obsolete Transcendars, and based on that experience have no reason to suspect that the "improved" replacements are anything but. The originals were great, delivering far better performance in my 2A3 amplifier than I would have expected at several multiples of the average selling price - so I believe that based on this experience the new versions are likely to be just fine or even great. And you sure can't beat them for the price. :D

Eventually I will build another amplifier, perhaps a headphone amp for work (the one I just built got, err, a little too expensive and complicated for that purpose) using the 5K budget model. I'll report back when I do, it won't be too long.

After some thought, I'm considering pairing the budget 3K transformers with some "super" 6BG6s or 6L6GCs in triode mode. Back-of-the- envelope figuring looks good. It'll be a while before I try this, though, as I'm really backed up with vacuum state and sand state projects that need finishng.

We need to revive this thread somewhat. Here is another entry into the market. It is a Chinese transformer, sold on E-Bay, and goes under the very western name of Eastern Audio, pardon the pun. ;)

It's a 10K single ended output trans, and aparently this fellow has access what anyone may wish. Has anyone tried out his product? Oh, and will it handle more power being a 10K?

And here's another thing. There is another fellow, who is selling used Telefunken output Transformers for SE Tube Amps. He aparently has a few available, but are definately smaller. However, the price appears to be pretty good.

Does anyone have any comments on this? George?

Has anyone tried the Transcendar budget OPTs?. Peeps can start a different thread for Eastern Audio iron.
A word in passing, copper and iron haven't changed in about 40 years. You need a certain amount on both for decent sounds. If you try to skimp on iron by piling on the turns, the high end will suffer due to added leakage, the stray capacitance will get you, and the windings will be highr R/lossy. If you skimp on turns, you'll start losing low end due to the lack of sufficient primary inductance.

If you look at the budget Transcendars next to the cheap Edcors, you realize right away where the extra money goes. The Transcendars are wound on a healthy stack of EI100 lams, while the Edcors are on EI75s. The Transcendars look like honest 10W transformers. The miracle is that the Edcors sound as good as they do.
Transcendar will add a 50% ultralinear tap to the budget units for a small fee and a wait. I'm thinking of updating my Shrine amp with a pair of 5k transformers with taps if I can get them to fit.

I don't know which generation they are but I'm sitting on a pair of 10W 5K:8 Transcendars destined for a Mikael-style KT88 SET amp. No UL tap but switching to fixed bias helps squeeze enough power out to recover a bit of the difference... Model number is TT-012-OT but Google seems to have nothing. With my client's permission I'll be posting in-progress pics! Expect large chokes.

I have pairs of the small Transcendar's in both 3K and 5K variants that I have used as the OPT's in my SimpleSE.

I started with the 3K's, and the last few weeks I have been running the 5K's. My B+ (referenced to ground) varies from about 350 to 410 volts.

Subjectively, they both sound good and seem to be a bargain at the price.

Changing from 3K to 5K, my initial impresison is that the 5K seems to have a better bass output than the 3K, in my system, but that is purely subjective. I have the equipment to take some objective measurements, but always seem to have other things I want to work on when I can get to my bench.

I really couldn't hear any reduction in distortion or apparent volume in going to the 5K's - if that effect is there, the distortion reduction is too subtle for my ears or speakers to resolve, and the amp still gets loud enough to run me out of the room.

Win W5JAG

edit: I guess I should add that in the process of changing out the OPT's, I committed the sin of changing several things at once: I also put in better (Auricap) coupling caps in place of the Solens I used with the 3K's, and I cleaned up my wiring a bit to make it look better.The wiring changes would not have any sonic impact, but the caps might.

I just received a pair of the budget 5k versions for my Simple-SE amp and although I haven't completed the project yet Im really impressed with the finish of these transformers, they're really nice. I thought allot about which transformers to get : looks- v -price- v -performance, and Im glad I went for these (the seller does adds an 50% UL tap on request which was important for me). I was lucky not to get rumbled by Mr Import Tax though, so in the end I paid 70 GBP£ including delivery. Cant wait to try them out!

Now, where can I get that nice chassis ? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.