MachMat or Tentlabs Heater Supply for 300B - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2007, 10:59 AM   #1
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default MachMat or Tentlabs Heater Supply for 300B

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has used either the MachMar VCCS and/or TentLabs Tube Filament Supply ? I am planning on using this for a 300B SE? It is touted that these are great for DHT/Directly Heater Triodes. Any experiences/observations/etc? All comments welcomed!

(Before you ask, I am feeling a little lazy building my own one point-point. Why not get a PCB for something like this, nice, simple and discrete. However, if I were to build one point-to-point, what are the various schematics around?)
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
siang is offline siang  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I'm also interested in this also but it seems no one has tried both?

siang
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

I've use the Tentlabs supplies and have been very pleased with the results. Both units are high impedance devices, and probably have high enough bandwidth, so should work similarly. One major difference is that the Tentlabs unit is very low dropout. If you have a 5V winding, you can regulate at 5VDC. It looks like the machmat unit requires at least 3 volts higher for the AC input.

Sheldon
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
eeyore is offline eeyore  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sheldon, thanks for sharing your experiences/knowledge. The Tentlabs also seem to offer a better value option, and given you note about the low votlage dropout could be the better option in my opinion.

Let me ask and get this right, you will one board per heater. You cannot parallel or serial multiple tubes with one board?
Old 4th July 2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

I think in a PP amp you might be able to use one per pp pair (confirm first), but for SE amps, yes, you need a separate winding and power supply per OP tube or per pair (if parallel).

Sheldon
Old 4th July 2007, 07:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used the MachMat VCCS (DC version) because I wanted to use a CRC filter before the regulator. In this case the MacMat was the better choice.
At 1.5 amps the VCCS needs an input voltage that is 4V above the output, this means you have to have a serious heatsink.

My experiments can be found here:
Heater supply part 4

If you want to upgrade the heater supply of an existing amp I think the Tentlabs module would be the preferred choice because of the lower voltage drop.
Old 4th July 2007, 02:34 PM   #7
siang is offline siang  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default thank you all

thank you all for the valuable information.

Hide this!Advertise here!