• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

common-mode chokes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The common mode choke is a "bifilar" or balun type choke at the input of the power line....
There is winding in the feed and return line and the net DC flux in the core is zero due to the way the windings traverse....
It is used to meet certain EMI requirements or audio susceptibility requirements.... It is used in conjunction witrh Y-caps... for a -40db/Decade slope double Pole filter....

Chris

cerrem said:
The common mode choke is a "bifilar" or balun type choke at the input of the power line....
There is winding in the feed and return line and the net DC flux in the core is zero due to the way the windings traverse....
It is used to meet certain EMI requirements or audio susceptibility requirements.... It is used in conjunction witrh Y-caps... for a -40db/Decade slope double Pole filter....

Chris

But thorsten has these chokes after the rectifier.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/edison300b/Edison300B.html

I know that lundahl has them on its catalog. Do these function similar to a "normal" power supply choke?

Yes they do, I use a LL1673 as a common mode choke in my amp. You get a better rejection of common mode noise from the mains with a common mode choke. See the data sheet of the LL1673 for more information.

You are referring to those little chokes that are used in switching power supplies. These are very different beasties, they are for reducing HF noise and will not reduce the 100Hz or 120Hz ripple in the power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.