Tube magazines - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube magazines

It seems as though I got into this diy lark long after the so called revival of the 80s.

To put that in perspective, it was probably only around 10 years that tubes fell out of favor, which isn't really that long.

Can anyone point a little to the history of the decline point, and revival point, and

around the time of the revival, there were diy magazines devoted to tubes, can someone please give a list of these with brief info if they were any good and which are worth acquiring?

It seems as to put what is going on now into perspective, one needs to go back and read what happened then.

thanks
Old 26th June 2007, 04:35 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Can anyone point a little to the history of the decline point, and revival point
Mass market? High end? Pro sound? Different answers for all of them. In the high end, ten years or less between the takeover of Dyna and Marantz transistor gear and Audio Research appearing. Futterman puttered along all through this.

Diy mags and the like? Probably about the same.

From the American side, for diy tube-focused magazines, I'd grab any Audio Dimensions publication (Audio Update, Tu-Be or Not Tu-Be) I could find. Late '70s, Ike Eisenson was ahead of his time in so many ways.
Old 26th June 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

What are good tube audio mag's that are still being printed?

Nick
Old 26th June 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Dead Tree is sooooo last millennium.
Old 26th June 2007, 05:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh come on

Your kidding me right
Old 26th June 2007, 05:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Back in the days of yore - well '89 for me - when I get into tubes there wasn't much for tube audio publications. I remember Glass Audio (Sound Practices came out around '91?) being just about the only thing out there. Before the DIY 'revival', most of my tubehead friends were into vintage gear of various makes.

Capacitor/resistors/PS upgrades were about the extent of modding back then - except for a few rare individuals who were looked at with awe. CJ, ARC, and newcomer VTL (at least in America) were the 'big three' of tube amplification with a number of other 'smaller' players.

for mags/etc I read http://www.tubecad.com to get my fix.

Joe Roberts does sell back issues of Sound Practices (pdf format) on Ebay - I bought the disc a few months ago and it brought back some old memories.
Old 26th June 2007, 06:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I actually bought a complete archive pdf of all the sound practices on ebay. I was just wondering if there are anymore out there.

Thanks
Nick
Old 26th June 2007, 06:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar
Oh come on

Your kidding me right

Quote:
Originally posted by nhuwar
I actually bought a complete archive pdf of all the sound practices on ebay. I was just wondering if there are anymore out there.
Res ipsa loquitur.

"Tu-Be or Not Tu-Be" has apparently been republished. "Audio Update" has not. Too bad, it was where the experimenter of 1978 could find out about CCS loading, regulators, LED biasing, strain gauge cartridges...
Old 26th June 2007, 10:03 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Radio Craft & Radio News in the 40s & 50s. The best stuff today is on the net... here, a zillion websites, the JoeList archives....

dave
Old 27th June 2007, 02:07 AM   #10
ArtG is offline ArtG  United States
diyAudio Member

AUDIO (formerly Audio Engineering) magazine was quite good through the 1950s and 1960s. It began a slow decline through the 1970's and early eighties until it became a "slick" advertising advertising medium for boutique systems. Most of the older issues are highly prized, but occasionally show up from time to time. Some libraries have access to the older issues on microfilm.

I think most, if not all back issues of Glass Audio are available from Audio Amateur, Inc, in New Hampshire.

Hide this!Advertise here!