• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what speakers do you use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jduffy said:

Open baffle also interest me. I listened to an amazing setup with the Hawthorne OBs and was quite impressed. The music seemed to be coming from everywhere as opposed to a sense of the stage in front you.

I've also been looking at the Hawthorne speakers... but there is a local deal for some Altec 604 + 15" woofers with a time aligned crossover. Massive box - but they sound fantastic... what to do?

jarthel said:

and I have never asked about the sonic quality about the speakers :)

As I said, I want to get a "feel" of power VS efficiency rating :)

There are plenty of factors here - listening area, speaker efficiency, peak power...

for example a few years ago I had a pair of Adire HE10 speakers - 96dB efficient. Used a '35W' tube amp with them and they always sounded 'not so great'. Well my listening area is pretty big (an entire basement) and I was driving the amp/speakers pretty hard. I sold the speakers to a friend who has a small apartment. He gets by with a Charlize T-Amp (5W?) and they sound great in his small living room.

I come from the 'You can never have enough power' school - but there is also a reasonable limit. You obviously don't need 200Ws to drive a 106dB efficient horn tweeter unless you need to PA a football stadium!

2º My speakers are Jordan JX92 with baffle step cor. (85db)>>

Are you using these full range? What is the circuit you have for baffle correction? What sort of cabinet and what size?

I use Monacor 130AL which are very similar and I've thought of converting to the Jordan units. I think mine are a little more sensitive, so I'm glad to hear that 7 watts is enough for you. I use 2a3 as well but PP.

Andy

Ted Jordan uses a 30cm baffle for his VTL with the driver at 15cms from top and sides. I simulated the baffle response with Soundeasy and found that apart from extending the baffle response to about 200hz this also provide what you call in UK BBC dip around 3K. With a 30 X 40 baffle i get aprox. the same.

A narrower baffle moves the dip upwards and bring the mids forward.

I also agree Ted Jordan's opinion about the resonant behaviour of deep enclosures, as explained somewhere in his web.

I live in Barcelona.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.