Anyone seen these 6L6GCs before? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Pyre is offline Pyre  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pyre
Default Anyone seen these 6L6gc's before?

I got these 6L6gc's in a bunch of nos tubes that I bought a while back. I cant say that I have seen 6l6gc's like them before and cant seem to find anything about westinghouse 6L6gc's online. They kinda look like the old coke bottle tung sol 6L6's. has any one seen these before or know anything about them?

Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th June 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

They look russian or chinese. Maybe an order that Westinghouse had to subcontract out?
Old 17th June 2007, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have not seen this exact shape of glass yet, but the internals and the brown base match the Chinese Shuguang (Sino) 6L6GC's that I have been getting. They have been available in two different glass envelopes. You may have found a third. I have seen Shuguang tubes relabled as Westinghouse before. I bought some 5AR4's from a reputable seller who told me that they were Chinese. These tubes seem nearly indestructable, but don't sound as good as NOS RCA's. They are far cheaper, often $5 or less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edcor6l6b.jpg (81.2 KB, 360 views)
Old 17th June 2007, 11:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think you may be right there they look exactly like the ones in your picture. The Westinghouse label looks like it was kinda printed on half heartedly later. They sure rattle a lot when I tap them. I put them on one side of my amp and they sounded ok, quite similar to the Sovtek 6l6gc. The RCA black plates I have blow them away.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Mr. Westinghouse, the only one who endorsed Mr. Tesla, half responsible for the second industrial revolution based on AC, ending up as a fake Chinese print. Oh tempora, oh mores!
Old 18th June 2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
My money is on chinese too. Probably after Westinghouse ditched their tooling, and had to fill some contracts...
Old 18th June 2007, 07:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

$20 on Chinese with the "Westinghouse" name and boxes being a 100% forgery
Old 19th June 2007, 01:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I guess they had to do something back in the day before LV handbags became so popular.
Old 24th June 2007, 12:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Saw this late.

Mmmmmm.... As a 6L6 man, I hesitate between 6L6GC and 6L6GB here (Pa for ...GC = 30W, for ...GB = 23W. One of the ...GC features is a quite rigid mounting of the internal structure on pins that go right through to the base pins, not mounted on a glass tongue as here. Also the ...GC has a higher Va rating due to 1/4 circle slots cut in the mica ends between the anode mounting pins/lips and the rest to increase flash-over/leakage. I looked as best I could but did not notice such slots - also the plate is not "ribbed" to increase rigidity.

But Tubelab has a lot of experience and rated them before as nearly indestructable. I would trust that - not sure of voltage tolerance though.

Tubelab,
What about high voltages?

Regards
Old 24th June 2007, 01:28 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Enclosed is a picture of the latest version of this tube. They stuffed the same internals (minus the top getter) into an envelope that is thinner and shorter than the previous design. Maybe they saved 1 pennys worth of glass. The result is obvious. With less room and less glass surface area, the insides get hotter for a given dissipation. They just start to show color in a dark room at about 35 watts. The old Coke Bottle version showed red at 39 watts. I have tested 8 different tubes from the new version in a SimpleSE which runs 465 volts of B+. This puts about 410 volts across the tube (cathode bias and OPT loss). None of the tubes objected, but I have not done extensive testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6l6gcr.jpg (87.8 KB, 141 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!