• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me.......What is the 6SN7 ???????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Anyone could tell me what version of 6SN7 tube.

Thank you so much,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ditto here.

Geometry looks like classic 6SN7 (have a normal one here), with anode surface somewhat larger. I guess that it is somehow a higher anode dissipation type, or designed to work in very hot areas plus perhaps conditions of vibration/shock.

Cd149dc, can you tell us where you found it or any more information? Most interested.

East German military 6SN7 (often has both US and russian markings) made by WF. I have a couple of those with the original labeling intact, it comes above the 6SN7 mark on yours. I'm not sure the elements are ceramic, but rather something like compressed mica. Still, they work very well...

Very interesting tube. I've collected a lot of different 6SN7s, but I've never seen one like that. The ceramic support wafers have that "Red Bank" appeal.

As Johan suggests, the larger radiator fins coming off both sides of the plates ought to give a larger plate dissipation rating, all else being equal.

Ilimzn or cd149dc, do either of you have the East German part number, and the data sheet associated with it? I'm curious about how similar this tube is to a regular 6SN7.

Brian Beck said:
Jacco's linked photo shows dual markings: 6H8C and 6SN7. The data sheet for the 6H8C suggests a near equivalent to the 6SN7. Max plate voltage and dissipation ratings are lower, surprisingly. Whether the 6H8C shares the fabled linearity of the 6SN7, I can't say.

6H8C data sheet

The ratings may, in fact, be a non-issue. Look at the 6SN7GT data sheet. Notice that the dissipation limit is 2.5 W./section, when both sections are operating.

A 1930s vintage 6SN7 is not as tough as a 1950s vintage 6SN7GTB. For audio purposes, the difference is not important.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.