Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2007, 12:54 PM   #1
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to find specs on transformer core material

Does anyone know where I cant find the specs on the diffrent types of transformer steel? I have a core and I am trying to identify it so I need to find the properties of the diffrent materials.

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks

Nick
Old 15th June 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pls. look here:

http://www.waasner.de/uk/tdaten/mageigen.htm

Andreas
Old 15th June 2007, 10:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks now all I need to do is find a way to cross reference this info and try and find the chemical composition of the diffrent steels.

I'm hoping I can find it in a astm book but I have to do some hunting.

Thanks

Nick
Old 15th June 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you have a part number?
Old 15th June 2007, 11:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you are just trying to determine if it is M-6 grain oriented steel, a simple test can tell you. Wind a few dozen turns on the core, close the air gap (with a clamp or vise if necessary), then use a Variac xfmr and a low voltage 6.3 VAC xfmr to apply variable low voltage AC to the winding and observe the current waveform on a scope (use .1 Ohm series current sense resistor or an AC current probe).

Ramp the AC voltage up from zero till things start humming noticeably to get an idea of the voltage range to test. The current wave form for grain oriented steel will start as a sine wave at very low volts, then change to a square wave at more volts, then develop a spike at the end of the square wave. For non-oriented steel you will see the sine wave current at very low V, then a triangle wave, then a current spike develops at the peak of the triangle at high V.

Don
Old 16th June 2007, 12:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The core I'm trying to identify isn't air gapped. I don't know what grain oriented steel looks like. I made a sample of it at work today but sence I have never seen grain oriented steel I dont know if it is.
What I need is a chemical composition of m6 steel.

Nick
Old 16th June 2007, 01:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Grain oriented steel is generally the same or similar silicon steel as the non-oriented type. The grain orientation comes from a sheet metal rolling process used to get the crystal grains elongated in the rolling direction, which gives improved magnetic properties.
Most of the properties of interest to someone using xfmr steel can be measured easily with a test winding and Variac setup and geometrical core dimensions (area and path length). ie: Saturation Bsat, permeability Mu, volts per turn, core loss, hysteresis curve, remanance ....
Old 16th June 2007, 01:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok so if grain oriented means the grains are streached then this isn't grain oriented. It's grains are equiaxe.

Nick

Hide this!Advertise here!