• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12 ax7s

Jim,
Thanks
I have some phillips tubes as well as some old tungsrams.
I have seem that ei makes a tube that seems ok and groove tubes mullard copy...You feel that the tung sols are better?
The phillips that I have is a little grainy on the highs and the tungsram is warmer..but I hope to find something more open.
thanks..and it seems that you could reccomend a place to buy them?
Thanks
B

First off, Ei is shut down, so finding an Ei ECC83/12AX7 is tough. And many were noisy or microphonic - the quality really slipped badly in the last of the production runs.

The GT "Mullard clone" can be a VERY nice tube as well. But the quality issues have darn near killed it. I stopped carrying them because the reject rate was over 80%! The GT is a warmer tube than the Tung-Sol, but the Tung-Sol has a very nice top end. One is not better than the other, they are just different. If you want more open sound the Tung-Sol is more likely to work for you than the GT.

I hope it's okay to say I have the Tung-Sols in stock since you asked.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.