• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Peter Millett's Uniamp with KT88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just about to finish building the PCB version of Pete's Uniamp amp. I am currently selected some OPTX. Don't want to spend too much money, and came across these from Edcor CXPP60-8-6.6K 60 watt push-pull tube amplifier output transformer 6,600 ohms to 8 ohms. Anyone have opinions about the transformer/combination?

Finally, I am also trying to decide on a choke. There are cheap options for a 15H/100mA choke which seems nice, or a similar priced 3H/250mA choke. From simulations (PSU Designer) the average current through the choke is about 90mA, so I guess the 15H/100mA would be out. But would the 3H be too little? Or alternatively, are the suppliers out there with chokes in the 10H/150mA or higher range for around US$15. The other two chokes are at US$10 each.

Hi, from the schematic, it does actually sit between two capacitor. The tube rectifier is followed directly by a capacitor, then the choke, and then it goes straight to the OPTX, then after that, there are about 4 more capacitors. So not sure it is function as a PI filter, given there isn't a capacitor between the choke and the OPTX. (See schematic on the site).

Reducing the value on the choke in PSU Designer seems to make the initial ripple peak less than having it a higher value.

Hi beetel,

I don't have one consolidated lists. The parts I used were:

- NOS Allen Bradley Resistors from eBay.
- Kiwame Power resistors (5W+) from DIY Hifi Supply
- Solen SM Tin Foil Coupling Capacitors from Parts Connexion
- Elna Cerafine cathode caps from Welborne Labs
- Sowter phase splitter from Sowter
- The power supply filter caps from Digikey
- KT88 Tubes from Tube Depot
- 12SN7 (change from 6SN7) and 5U4G from AES

Hey eeyore, I see you've been registered on diyaudio.com for nearly 2 years and you live in Melbourne. I like you DIY efforts on your blog. You should consider joining the Melbourne Audio Club http://home.vicnet.net.au/~macinc/ . It has a circle of DIY audio devotees with a broad range of interests and skills and we have monthly workshops and home meetings for DIY (aka Audio Action).

(end of unashamed plug)

Almost. The chassis completed, all the components wired in. BUT having one problem. The transformer also always :bawling: blows out a fuse when I switch it on. Had some discussions with Pete, and he seems to think that my custom wound Edcor may be wound for a 110V rather than 230V as I specified. Difficult to test without a variac. Am going to connect the two of them back to back, via a heater winding, and see what the voltages are. Unless there is a better way. It blows the fuse unconnected, and fully connected. VERY annoying . :mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.