• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 as both driver and output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EL84 line driver

Hello
The EL84 can work as line driver also.
I have attached a Vollmer pre-amp circuit with EL84 transformer output for you.

Attachments

• vollmer-188.jpg-klein.jpg
    vollmer-188.jpg-klein.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 780
Yvesm said:
A quick check with Tube CAD.

Triode connected, 250V B+, 10K anode load resistor and bypassed 600 ohms in the cathode should produce near 23dB gain.
Just enough to drive another one.
Not so hi anode current (10mA) but still 4,5W absorbed by the heater.

Yves.

Do you mean this?

Attachments

• tmpel84drive_01.jpg
    tmpel84drive_01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 783
Note that at these operating conditions, the linearity will be mediocre at best. The rp will be something like 6k, which means that with a 10k load, you can expect a few percent THD (dominated by second). Now, you may like the sound of a lot of added second harmonic (it fattens and sweetens the sound), but it is not in any sense accurate.

By comparison, the distortion of a more suitable driver tube will be well under 0.05%, leaving your output stage as the primary distortion contributor.

Thanks for all your comment. Due to my little knoweldge, not sure if I can grasp them all.

Is my understanding (in the photo) correct?

Also, more questions popped up now:

1) As SY said, should the Rp (in green) be 6K Ohm or 10K Ohm ?

2) To make the voltage at first stage (less ripple) and output stage (more ripple can be) make easier in practice, can I use the B1+ as ~ 315 Volt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.