• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

electrostatic shield - nice to have or recommended or doesn't matter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hear split bobbin transformers are nearly equivalent in performance to E/S shields. The idea is to reduce capacitance between primary and secondary windings, thereby prohibiting HF hash and noise from entering the secondary winding(s). The interwinding shield shunts this hash to ground before it reaches the secondary.

After much deliberation, I chose a shielded tranny for my B+ circuit, and plain jane split bobbin trannies for all filament and supplementary supplies.

zigzagflux said:
The idea is to reduce capacitance between primary and secondary windings

Maybe I should clarify. With an E/S shield, I don't specifically reduce any capacitance; I actually am installing a guard between the primary and secondary. Now, instead of a large C between primary and secondary, I have a C from primary to shield, and another C from secondary to shield. Ground this shield, and common mode noise is effectively shorted to ground. It can't reach the secondary.

With the split bobbin design, I would say you are actually lowering capacitance between primary and secondary, due to physical winding layout. There's no guarding going on there.

ray_moth said:
I expect you mean a grounded thin metal shield between primary and secondaries in a power tranny. If that is what you mean, then, yes, I think it's a good idea to shield the secondaries from mains-borne noise, but not essential.

Some transformers have the high current low voltage heater supply secondary placed between the primary and the high voltage B+ secondary instead of a real shield. Idea was that the heater winding would do almost as good a job of shielding. This winding was usually centertapped, at 3.15V on a 6.3V secondary, and to be tied to chassis ground, like the real shield would have been. The heater winding has to be in the transformer somewhere, and doing it like this instead of a real shield saves a few pennies....

ray_moth said:
I expect you mean a grounded thin metal shield between primary and secondaries in a power tranny. If that is what you mean, then, yes, I think it's a good idea to shield the secondaries from mains-borne noise, but not essential.

IMO it is a big deal, but I understand why some might not thing so.. Compared to a toroid without a E-shield an Ecore transformer is a breath of fresh air. But the Ecore transf. has windings that provide half the benefit of the e-shield IME. Bifilar windings do all of the benefit IME.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.