• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My 6SL7, 2A3 SE design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I originally used the 6N1P in this amp: Mikael Abdellah's Single Ended (SE) KT88 Tube Amplifier Schematic I have built a number of these.

By reducing the cathode R to 300 ohms where the KT88 is and replacing the KT88s with KT120s I have a whole new amp. Power went up from 7.5W to 9.7W. Bass and mids much improved. The 6N1P has no problems driving the bigger tubes.

I paid AU$24 for one 6N1P then found a site on eBay where I got six for AU$24. Stick with the Russian ones.

Anatoly,

The word on the street is that the EV is the tube to get and the VI to be avoided. Is this just tube folklore, or does it have any substance?

ПЯТЫЙ ДОБАВОЧНЫЙ НЕОБЯЗАТЕЛЬНЫЙ буквенный элемент, а основное обозначение всегда вводится через дефис. Он характеризует какие-либо особые эксплуатационные свойства лампы

Fifths additional element means tubes have some properties for usage in specific environments.

В - лампы повышенной надежности и механической прочности

V - increased reliability and mechanical ruggedness

Д - дампы особой долговечности с гарантированной наработкой более 10000 часов

D - guaranteed life >10,000 hours

Е - лампы повышенной долговечности с гарантированной наработкой более 5000 часов

E - guaranteed life >5,000 hours

И - лампы, предназначенные для работы в импульсном режиме; характеризуются повышенной эмиссионной способностью катода

I - for pulse mode, increased cathode emission

К - лампы с высокой виброустойчивостью

K - for vibrating environments

Р - лампы особой надежности и механической прочности

R - especially reliable and rugged tubes

ЕВ - лампы повышенной надежности, механической прочности и долговечности

Increased reliability, ruggedness, longer life

ДР - лампы особой надежности, механической прочности и долговечности.

DR Extremely reliable, rugged, long life

So, 6N1P-VI means tubes with increased cathode emissions, for vibrating environment (I suspect, mobile radar stations on tank bases, anti-aircraft defense). May be very good for mic preamps, powered by lower filament voltages.

It seems to me there were some 6N1P-VI released recently from some huge military warehouse: their prices on epay dropped down.
Yes-Sir-reee with cash strapped Russia trying to make a buck...& cash flooded China looking to build goods to export..China will buy up these lots of, say ten-thousand.
Paying some twenty cents per tube, the sockets cost more than the tube. Why do you think the 6N1P winds up in most all China built amps?

_____________________________________________________Rick..........

I see 6N3 more often, though. 6N3P were made for UHF mixers and amplifiers, without any audio related linearities in mind...

_6n3p.GIF

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.