• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6BG6 = 6L6GC with top cap - cheap!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ray,

I think these are more like Super 6BG6 = 7027A with the higher plate voltage rating of the 6BG6. They were mentioned a couple of times on this forum some time ago but little discussion ensued. I remember SY said he had bought several and had them running in a few power amps but didn't give any more details. He also said in another post that these were definitely not high perveance horizontal sweep tubes and apparently did have the 35 watt plate dissipation rating of the 7027A. However, no one has reported anything in detail on their results with these.

I bought 8 of them with the idea of building a pair of push-pull monoblocks (and have some spares for re-tubing). My idea is to use the high end Edcor P-P (CXPP) series and a pair of these to build 40 - 50 watt amps and see just how much performance can be squeezed out of these value priced parts. That project is some time down the road for me because a preamp/headphone amp is going to come first.

I had a good experience dealing with Mike, WB0SND. I exchanged a couple of emails with him and my tubes arrived promptly and well packaged. He seems like one of the good guys. :)

Ken

SY said:
IIRC, Tubelab bought some too and confirmed Mike's claims that you can run the voltages at 6L6GC levels with no problems. I've got a set in my Eico HF87, 475V on both plate and screen, no issues at all. Pa = 35W seems to be absolutely reasonable.

Let me reconfirm Sy's post. Also, that same plate structure is used in the 6L6WGB JAN Philips tubes. It's the GC guts for sure.

Both the WGB and the 6BG6 with that plate will take the voltages of a GC just fine.

The ealier 6BG6s are very usable tubes, but they meltdown pretty quickly at the GC voltage/current levels. :hot:

cap

I've bought four of these for $9 per one. RCA blackplates, look promising.
I'm planning to make an amp but have to order anode caps and there are two types that seem to fit but I'm not sure which one is right: there's 3/8" and 7/16".
The seller's description says they both fit 807 and I think it's the same type = small cap C1-1.
Which cap fits 6BG6???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.